This article is also available for:
The Skype Accessibility set of content is available to users with vision impairments that is intended to assist them when they use Skype with the assistance of a screen reader program, and this article is included in that set which provides content dedicated to people with vision impairments when they are using Skype. Skype Support home is a good place to find more general information about Skype. Using Skype is very simple as you can sign in via your keyboard as well as use Mac OS’s built-in screen reader, Voice Over, to communicate with others via Skype. It is extremely easy to use and you can move around very easily. Chatting can either be done over the phone or through instant messaging (IM). This article will provide you with information on how to use Skype’s latest version in conjunction with the information available in this article in order to make the most of the features available. The best way to find out what you need to do to update Skype is to click here and read more information on what you need to do.
Open Skype and sign in
Sign in to Skype for the first time
Once the latest version of Skype is installed on your Mac, follow these steps to open Skype for the first time and sign in using VoiceOver:
- You may access Spotlight by pressing Command+Spacebar on your Mac, then type Skype in the Spotlight search box.
- At the top of the window, you will find an Up Down arrow that you can use to locate the Skype application. Then, press the Return key to open Skype when the “Skype, Applications” option is selected on the screen.
- In the event that the “Let’s go” button has been selected, the Tab and Return keys will be pressed simultaneously in order to reveal the selected button.
- Pressing ‘Return’ when the “Sign in or create” button is selected means that you are configuring to be notified when the confirmation message has been received.
- You will need to enter your email address, your phone number, or your Skype name to sign in. In order to verify that you have heard the words “Next,” you should immediately press the Tab key until they appear again on the screen. Once they appear, you should press the return key right away.
- As an alternative, you can create a new account by pressing the Tab key in the sign in dialog until you hear the phrase “Create a Microsoft account” followed by the Return key when the message appears so that you can create the new account.
- You will hear the message “Enter your password” when you click on the Down arrow, which will allow you to type in your account password. After that, you will have to click on Return to sign in to your Skype account.
- When you open Skype for the first time, you may be asked to modify some basic settings, such as the profile picture, the microphone, and the camera, and Skype will ask you for your input during the dialog that appears. By pressing the Tab key, you will be able to move through the dialog boxes. Press the Return key in order to select one of the options. It is important that you press the Return key as soon as you hear the “Ok” button on the last dialog as soon as you hear it.
The Skype sign-in process has now been completed. As well as how to sign out of Skype, this article contains instructions on how to sign in again once you have signed out.
Once you have signed out of Skype, you will need to sign back in
The next time you open Skype, you will see that it will automatically run for you once you have signed in for the first time. You will not be asked to sign in again until you specifically choose to sign out at that point. Skype allows you to sign in with the previous account that you signed out with if you have selected the option to remember your account settings when logging out. On the Sign in screen, the focus will be put on the account that was previously logged in to the system. Once you have heard your account’s name, just press Return, and you will be prompted to sign in again.In order to login to the other account, you must press the Tab key until you hear the phrase “Use another account” before pressing the Return key in order to log out of the other account. Once the Skype name, email address, or phone number have been typed, click the return key to save your changes. You will hear “Enter the password” for some time after pressing the Down arrow. Type in your password, then click on the Return key to sign in.
Make and answer a call
- Press the keys Command+Option+F at the same time until the message “Search Skype” appears.
- Enter the name of the person, their email address, or their phone number in the field provided. You can search while you type, and the results will be displayed as you type.
- Hold down Control+Option+Right Arrow repeatedly when you hear the first result of your search appear on the screen, until you hear the list of results appear on the screen.
- In order to navigate the list of results, just simply press the VoiceOver modifier key (Control+Option) as soon as you hear “More”, and then make use of the right or left arrow keys on your keyboard to navigate through them when you hear “More”. When you move your cursor over the contacts, the screen reader will announce the names of the contacts.
- To open a contact, select it from the drop down menu and then press the Return key to open it.
- It is easy to start an audio call by pressing the Command+Shift+R key combination while the contact is open. The Command+Shift+R function can also be used to answer a call if you receive it.
- With a combination of Command+Shift+K, it is possible to start or end a video call, or toggle video on or off in order to initiate or end it. You will receive a confirmation announcement from VoiceOver letting you know if the video is on or off informing you what to do next.
- Using Command+Shift+H will allow you to hang up the phone call.
Chat via IM
- The Command+Option+F keyboard commands will allow you to search for a specific person within Skype if you are looking for a specific contact.
- Enter the name of the person, their email address, or their phone number. During the typing process, a search will be carried out.
- Using Control+Option+Right arrow together will bring up the list of results, and you will have to repeat this action until the first result comes up.
- Upon hearing that there are “More” results, you will want to press Return, then select the right or left arrow keys, followed by the VoiceOver modifier keys (Control+Option), to navigate through the list of results. As you move around the screen, the screen reader announces the contacts you have selected.
- You will be able to open your selected contact once you have selected it and pressed Return.
- Once you have opened the contact, you will be able to see the “Type a message” field on the right. In order to send a message, you simply have to type it and press the Return key.
- Any messages that you receive will be read aloud to you by the screen reader. You can continue to type and send messages as long as the focus remains on the text input field.
Sign out of Skype
- Using the keyboard shortcuts Command+Shift+C, followed by Shift+Tab, you will be able to access the main Skype window. Press Return once you hear the words “More options” in order to continue.
- An announcement will be made regarding the menu. Until you hear the message “Sign out,” press the Down arrow key and then press the Return key as soon as it appears.
- When you sign into the application with Skype for the first time, you will be prompted with a message asking if you want Skype to remember your account settings and application settings on this device the next time you sign in. In order to hear the option you wish to hear, press the “Yes” or “No” button on the Tab key on your keyboard until you hear the option you wish to hear. In order to select it, you will need to press the Return key on your keyboard.
Technical support for customers with disabilities
It is very important to Microsoft that our customers have the best experience possible. The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk is available to assist you with technical support if you have questions or concerns about accessibility due to a disability. It is important to note that a member of the Disability Answer Desk support team has been trained on how to use many popular assistive technologies, and is able to provide assistance in multiple languages including English, Spanish, French, and American Sign Language as well as other languages as well. In order to find out who to contact in your region, please visit the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk website.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the answer button on Skype?
What are the key feature of Skype?
- There is the possibility of making audio and HD video calls.
- Messaging that is smart.
- Sharing of screens.
- You can record your calls and you can watch them with live subtitles.
- Make phone calls.
- Conversations in a private environment.
Is there a Skype for Mac?
A desktop version of Skype is available for download
Can you use Skype on Apple?
Is Skype on the App Store for Mac?
How do you pick up a call on Skype?
All images and contents credit goes to support.skype.com