Meeting and webinar platforms have some similarities in terms of features and functionality, however there are some key differences as well. Meetings are structured to be a collaborative event where all attendees can see each other, hear each other, and share information with each other, while webinars are designed so that the host and designated panelists can share the presentation, while view-only attendees can watch it. You can compare the features of both meetings and webinars side by side.
There is an option within the Zoom web portal to convert an event that would be better suited as a meeting or webinar if it has been scheduled as either.
Converting a meeting into a webinar
If you convert from a meeting to a webinar, you will keep the same registration URL, and all registration email addresses will be transferred to the webinar, along with meeting settings and attendees.
- Zoom’s web portal can be accessed by logging in.
- Click Meetings in the left menu.
- To transform a meeting into a webinar, click its name.
- Click the Convert this Meeting to a Webinar link to the right of the Start and Edit buttons.
- Click Convert to confirm this meeting is to be converted to a webinar.
- How to convert a webinar to a meeting
A webinar-only feature, such as Q&A, multiple-answer questions, webinar-related email settings, and post-webinar surveys, will be lost when converting from a webinar to a meeting. There will be a change in the URL of the registration page, but the existing registration page will redirect to the new registration page and retain the logo and banner from the branding. There is no need to change the link if the webinar has already had registration, and those who have already registered can still join by using the same link that they used to sign up. Registration report will be moved from the Webinar reports section to the Meeting reports section. As well, attendee report will be moved from the Webinar reports area to the Usage / Active Hosts section (for admins). The reports for the sessions run as a webinar before the conversion will still be found under Webinar reporting if the webinar is recurring and has held one or more sessions before the conversion.
- Log in to Zoom’s web portal.
- Select Webinars from the navigation panel.
- You can convert a webinar to a meeting by clicking the name of the webinar.
- Click Convert this Webinar to a Meeting to the right of the Start and Edit buttons.
- By clicking Convert, you are confirming that you want to convert the webinar into a meeting.