It is possible to search a site’s phone users by entering a first or last name into a dial-by-name directory. The caller is able to route to the phone user after performing a search. An IVR system needs to be able to route to the dial-by-name directory by using the dial-by-name feature. It is only possible to use British and American English in the dial-by-name directory.
- Business, Education, or Pro account
- Owners are granted admin privileges
- In order to use Zoom Phone
- For users to be included in the directory dial-by-name feature, they must have a Zoom Phone license
Accessing dial-by-name directory settings at the site level
You can create or edit dial-by-name directories at the site level if you have multiple sites. A receptionist at the same site can only route to this directory.
- Access the Zoom web portal by logging in.
- Select the Phone System Management option in the navigation menu, followed by the Company Info option.
- Then, click on the Settings option for the site you would like to manage.
- Then, scroll down until you see Other settings.
- Ensure that the Dial by Name Directory toggle is enabled and that the following drop-down menus are available:
- Create Directory:
- The dial-by-name directory is created on the site level by selecting Maintain Site’s Own Directory.
- Search by:
- Please specify whether callers can search for first or last names of phone users.
- Select the Manage Directory button.
Accessing dial-by-name directory settings at the account level
A dial-by-name directory can be created or edited at the account level, even if you don’t have multiple sites. It can be accessed by any auto attendant in the account.
You can also follow these steps if you wish to create or edit account-level directories. These directories will only be applicable to specific sites once they are created.
- Sign into the Zoom web portal by entering your email address and password.
- Click on Phone System Management then select Company Info from the navigation menu.
- At the top of the page, click Account Settings.
- Navigate to the Other section of the page.
- Select the toggle next to Dial by Name Directory to enable it.
- Choose whether you want callers to search for the first or last name of phone users in the search by drop-down menu.
- Select Manage Directory from the drop-down menu.
Creating or editing a dial-by-name directory
- Site or account settings can be changed for dial-by-name.
- To do so, follow these steps:
- Under Included Sites, click Site to add a site to the directory. Enter the site’s URL and click Add. The directory does not include (allows searching for) new or existing users by default.
- Click Add searchable users after adding a new site to include phone users in the directory.
- If the phone list already includes users, you can include them in the directory by clicking the Excluded tab, selecting the users you want to include in the list, then clicking Move to Dial-by-Name Directory at the top of the table. Alternatively, you can click the Move all to Dial by Name directory button to add all excluded users to the list of included users.
- The process of excluding users from the directory can be done by clicking the Directory tab, selecting the users from the directory you wish to remove, then clicking Exclude from the directory at the top of the table. Additionally, you can also click and move all the included users to an exclusion list by clicking Exclude from the directory.
Applying the account-level directory to a site
- The Zoom web portal can be accessed by logging in.
- Navigate to Business Information and then Phone System Management.
- On the Settings tab, click the name of the site.
- In the Other section, click the name of the site.
- In the Dial by Name Directory section, toggle the switch to enable it.
- To ensure that you can apply the dial-by-name directory created at the account level, select Inherit from account directory in the Create Directory drop-down menu.
Routing to a dial-by-name directory
Dial-by-name directories can be assigned to an IVR system so that callers are routed to them.
- Log on to Zoom’s website,
- Then click Phone System Management from the navigation menu and then select Auto Receptionists from the list.
- You can then select any automatic receptionist with an IVR menu.
- It is important that the auto receptionist is located in the same site as the dial-by-name directory that you have enabled.
- You can access this menu by clicking on Edit in the IVR Menu section.
- Once you have selected Dial by Name, click Edit next to the key.