Zoom Meetings can now be linked to your desk phone through the companion mode. With the companion mode, you are now able to access the following features:
- Use your desk phone as the audio device to join a Zoom meeting that has been scheduled.
When you receive a calendar notification, for example, you can join a meeting right away. The Zoom meeting key is a shortcut found on most desk phones that will enable you to join audio using your desk phone after you join a meeting using the Zoom desktop client.
- You will be able to join a meeting once you have received an invite and your desk phone will serve as the audio device.
For instance, you might be invited to an instant meeting by a colleague who is using the Zoom desktop client. In your desk phone, you will see an incoming call that you will need to accept to connect to the audio. As well as accepting the meeting invitation on the desktop client, you can also use the desktop client to enable the screen sharing and video.
This article covers:
- Added the line key for companion mode
- Joining a scheduled Zoom meeting and using your desk phone as the audio device
- Receiving a meeting invite and joining the meeting using your desk phone as the audio device
- Recommended meeting settings
- Waiting Room
- Video preview
- Computer audio
- Supports companion mode on the desk phone
- for meetings but disables End-to-End (E2EE) encryption
Added the line key for companion mode
Your desk phone must have the Zoom meeting key before you can use companion mode:
- Zoom’s web portal can be accessed by signing in.
- Click Phone under the navigation menu.
- Select Settings.
- Click View or Edit under Keys & Positions.
- Select Manage Keys.
- Select Zoom meeting as the key type in one of the keys by clicking Set Key.
- The Alias (Optional) column allows you to enter an alias that will appear on the screen of your phone when it is plugged into a computer. When you plug in your phone, it is pre-set to show Zoom meeting as the default label.
Zoom meetings can be added to a key, and then the key can be further customized.
Joining a scheduled Zoom meeting and using your desk phone as the audio device
- Using Zoom’s desktop client, you can join a meeting.
As soon as you select companion mode on your desk phone, the meeting line key will turn solid red.
- Zoom meeting is the default label on the meeting line key. If you configured companion mode, you might have changed it.
- On your desk phone, press Zoom meeting lines.
- On your desk phone, you’ll join the meeting from the audio side. You will be able to use your desk phone for audio if you’re already using your computer.
- Zoom desktop will continue to function for screen sharing and video.
Receiving a meeting invite and joining the meeting using your desk phone as the audio device.
- When you receive an invitation, click Join in the Zoom desktop client.
A meeting line key will flash green when an incoming call is received, as well as on your desk phone.
- Zoom meetings are the default label for meeting lines. When you set up companion mode, you may have changed it.
- The following options will appear on your desk phone when you receive an incoming call:
- For audio, use your desk phone, and for video and screen sharing, use the desktop client.
- Use your desk phone to join meetings with audio only.
- Do not attend the meeting.Whenever you join a meeting, the meeting line key turns solid red.
Recommended meeting settings
If you frequently use companion mode, you may want to change the following settings:
You will not have to manually admit participants to meetings by disabling Waiting Room in your web portal settings. In case you regularly use your desk phone to join meetings audio without using a desktop client for video / screen sharing, this feature can be useful.
- Zoom can be accessed by signing in.
- Simply click the Settings button.
- Disable the Waiting Room under the Meeting tab.
The desktop client should be configured to disable video preview. In this way, you can join the meeting immediately without having to wait for the video preview window to appear.
- Log in to Zoom.
- Navigate to Settings by clicking your profile picture.
- When joining a meeting, make sure to disable Always show video preview in the Video tab.
- The option to disable this feature can also be found in the video preview window when you join or start a meeting. Under the option, Uncheck Always show video preview when joining, you can disable this feature.
Ensure that the audio joining settings for your desktop client are enabled. When you do so, the audio join window will not appear.
- Log into Zoom on your desktop.
- Go to Settings by clicking your profile picture.
- Ensure that Automatically join audio by computer is enabled in the Audio tab when you join a meeting.
- If you would like to take advantage of this feature, you can also check the If computer joins audio automatically when joining a meeting checkbox in the Join Audio window when you join or start a meeting.