The laptop is great for online chatting, such as video conferencing in Zuma . The webcam, microphone and speakers are already built into it, which means that everyone will see and hear everyone. Simple to install and configure. But here users may have difficulties. Let’s figure out how to download Zoom for free on a laptop and connect to communication.
The creators of this site release not only an application for smartphones and tablets, but also a program for a PC. It is available for Windows systems, and for MacBooks from Apple, and even for various “laptops” on Linux, or rather, its distributions.
In terms of its capabilities and interface, each of the versions is almost identical. But the installation itself is different for them due to the specifics of operating systems.
For this reason, we have prepared 3 separate guides. They will be taken apart first. And then – general instructions on how to join the conference, audio and video settings, and other nuances of use.
At the very bottom of the article, there is a link to download Zoom.
Case # 1: Windows
It is on laptops running Windows that the installation process is easiest. Follow these steps:
- Use the link below to go to the download page of the program.
- Once it opens, click on the marked blue button:
- As a result, the installation file will be saved.
- When the process is over, run ZoomInstaller. exe .
The installation will be completed automatically, after a few seconds, no additional actions from the user are required. Zoom will open immediately. In the future, the program will be opened using a new shortcut on the desktop. It will also appear in the Start menu , but will be called Start Zoom .
Downloading the Zoom software to your laptop is as simple as possible.
Case # 2: macOS
But on MacBooks, the installation will take more action, but still pretty well understood. Follow the proposed algorithm so as not to get confused:
- As in the past, visit the Zuma download page. The corresponding link is under the main part of the article.
- Right click on the top download button.
- Save the Zoom.pkg file .
- As a result, the usual installation window will not appear for everyone. In it, immediately click “Continue” .
- Follow the prompts on the screen, and then click on the “Install” button .
- When prompted, enter your account password and start the procedure.
- And at the end, close this window.
Case # 3: Various Linux Distributions
The most common notebooks are based on Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint and similar distributions with a graphical interface. In them, the installation procedure for Zuma is quite simple. In Terminal, run the command sudo apt install gdebi .
It is needed to download the Gdebi unpacker , if it is not initially present in the system.
Next, in the provided web browser, open the link https://zoom.us/download?os=linux . On the new page, select your build of the system and its versions. Then click on the Download button and save the installation package.
Open it with an unpacker and run the procedure.
When executing a command in the Terminal, you will most likely be asked for the root user password. The same applies to the last stage of the installation.
Features of using the program
If you just need to join a meeting, then you don’t need to create a dedicated Zoom account. Registration is required for:
- Organizing your own conferences.
- Getting additional features (scheduler, contact list, etc.).
- Switching to a paid subscription.
You can find the process of creating an account in our article .
Well, here we will analyze the connection to an existing video conference. There are two ways to do this:
- Open a link with an invitation from the creator and agree with the launch of the program.
- Directly in Zoom, click on the blue button, fill in the column with the identifier and display name. And in another form – a password.
In both cases, you will have to wait for permission to connect, if this function has not been disabled in the settings.
When you first participate in a conference, it makes sense to set up audio and video. Algorithm of actions:
- Click on the highlighted items to go to the parameters page:
- Make sure the microphone and speaker are working. To do this, use the “Check” buttons .
- If something is too loud or quiet, then adjust the volume sliders.
- From the left menu, visit the Video section .
- Adjust the settings for the laptop’s built-in webcam. To improve its quality, check “Enable HD mode “ .
It will be useful to review the contents of the “Keyboard shortcuts” section . There are convenient combinations for managing the conference. For example,Alt + Aallows you to quickly turn off and then return the microphone. In some cases, this will be very useful.