The Zoom host receives an email notification when a participant joins the meeting before the host. Upon receiving the email notification, the host will be prompted to join the meeting.
The only person who will receive this email is the meeting host. A notification email will be sent out if the following occurs:
- The host is still waiting for the meeting to start before an attendee arrives
- (If the join before host option is enabled, then an attendee has joined the meeting ahead of the host).
Whenever this setting is enabled, an email will be sent whenever a new attendee joins the meeting, regardless of whether it is during the scheduled meeting time. During the meeting, the email will be sent to the host if any attendee accidentally joins at the wrong time, or clicks the link early to try it out.
Prerequisites for enabling notifications for hosts
- Ownership or administrative privileges on an account
How to enable email notifications for hosts when attendees join first
It is possible to enable or disable the following option for all users on the account: When attendees join a meeting before the host:
- Log into the Zoom web portal as an administrator with the ability to make changes to the account settings.
- Select Account Management from the navigation menu, then select Account Settings.
- Select Meetings.
- Turn on or off When attendees join the meeting before the host under Email Notification.
- Verify the change by clicking Enable or Disable if a verification dialog appears.
- Unless you would like this setting to be mandatory for all users in your account, you will need to click the lock icon and then select Lock to confirm that this setting is to be made mandatory.
You will see the Group Management page renamed as Groups if you signed up for a new Zoom account after August 21, 2021, or you have the New Admin Experience enabled on your account.
When users join a meeting before the host, the following options can be enabled or disabled:
- If you are an administrator with permission to edit groups, then log into the Zoom web portal as an administrator.
- Navigate to the User Management section and then select Group Management.
- Select the relevant group from the list that appears.
- Next, select the Meetings tab.
- Alternatively, you can enable or disable the toggle when attendees join the meeting before the host under Email Notification.
- If you are presented with a verification dialog box, click either Enable or Disable to verify the change you have made.
- In the case where the option is grayed out, the account level has locked it and it can only be changed at the account level.
- (Optional) If you want to make this setting mandatory for all members of the group, you can click the lock icon and confirm the setting by clicking the Lock button.
In order to enable or disable for your own use when attendees join the meeting before the host, you need to do the following:
- Please sign in to the Zoom web portal by using your email address and password.
- Then select the Settings link in the navigation panel.
- Select the Meeting tab.
- Click the toggle next to When attendees join meeting before host to enable or disable the Email Notification feature.
- To verify the change, a confirmation dialog will appear. Click Enable or Disable to confirm the change.
- The option is grayed out if it has been locked either at the group level or the account level. If this is the case, contact your Zoom administrator.