In Teams, you can quickly connect with others by using calls as a means of communication. In these types of calls, you can talk one-on-one with one person or you can talk to several people at once. Assuming that they are being set up beforehand, you can do the same for meetings. However, you can also do them on the fly in a chat (for example).
The meetings in Teams can be a great way to collaborate, but calls can also be a great way to get a direct answer to your questions or be able to complete specific tasks that need to be completed.
In order to make and manage calls in Teams, there are a few things you should remember:
1. There are many ways to make a call in Teams
It’s possible to initiate a call from anywhere in Teams (or with a group of people) so as to share information with them. There are a number of ways in which you can do this:
Make or answer a call from anywhere
It is your choice whether to make an audio call or a video call. The type of call you make can either be an audio-only call or a video call. You are always in control of what you want to do.
It is also very easy to answer a call. As soon as you are prompted, you can choose between a video call and an audio call. There will be a notification that you’ll receive when someone calls you, and you’ll be able to accept the call or decline it.
Turn a chat into a call
A chat in Teams can be converted into a call with just one click of the mouse. In the upper-right corner of Teams, you’ll see a video call or an audio call option when you are in a chat. It is likely that you will be contacted by the person you are chatting with or, if it is a group chat, by all the people you are chatting with.
Make a call from your call history, speed dial, voicemail, or contacts
- If you wish to call anyone back from your call history, you can do so quickly by accessing your call history. Visit the Calls section in the bottom left corner of the screen and take a look at the History section. In the Details section on the right side of Teams, you will find the option to make a call by selecting any item you want from the list.
- It is possible to quickly reach people who are saved to this list from your speed dial by using your speed dial. On the right side of Teams, you will find a section called Speed dial, which you can access when you go to Calls.
- Any message that has been left on your voicemail can be quickly called back from your voicemail box. When you are in History and you click the Voicemail button in the upper-right corner of the screen, you will be able to access your voicemail. When checking your voicemail, you can choose More actions under their name, then select Call back from the call history list, or you can click the Call button under their contact information to call back.
- Using the upper-left corner of Teams, click on Calls > Contacts to see all your contacts. If you select the Call icon to the right of the name of someone, you will be able to make a call to them.
Use the dial pad
You can call anyone from Teams if you have a calling plan enabled on your account.
In order to dial a number from Teams, you will need to go to the Calls menu, and then press the dial pad located on the left-hand side of the screen, and then enter the number of the person you wish to reach. Afterwards, click on the button that says Call.
A person or group’s name can also be entered into the dial pad and you will be able to contact them via phone.
Hover over someone’s profile picture
Throughout the Teams app, you will be able to see profile pictures of people who you are connected with, which will make you feel more at home and will also make you feel more comfortable. Occasionally, people will choose an avatar or you might see just their initials, depending on what they prefer.
A mouseover over a profile picture will show you the option of making an audio-only or a video call to the person at any time, allowing you to reach out to the person. You need to select one of those options in order to begin the call.
Use the command box
You can do this by typing “/call” in the box at the top of Teams, and entering the name or number you would like to call. It is automatically going to begin the call as soon as you have made your selection.
Using this method, you will be able to find people or groups and give them a call as quickly as possible.
You will not be able to turn off the screen of your mobile device while you are in a Teams call on your device (or you will not be able to navigate away from the call window and come back before it turns off) if you do not navigate away from the team window. When the screen of your device is turned off while you are on a call, your connection will remain active but the device will be locked.
2. You can do a lot while on a call in Teams
There are many things you can do during a call. You might take the following actions if you find yourself in this situation:
Place a call on hold
Choose the Hold option from the More actions menu in the call window. There will be a notification made to all participants in the call that they have been put on hold, and you can resume the call if you wish.
Transfer a call
You can transfer your call by selecting More actions > Transfer from the call controls. After typing the name of the person whose number you wish to transfer the call to, select that person and begin the transfer process. Select the Transfer button when you are finished.
Consult then transfer
To make sure that someone is okay, select More actions > Consult then Transfer the call to the person you wish to check in with.
Start typing the name of the person you wish to reach under the Choose a person to consult section, and once the name is highlighted, you can select the person you wish to reach. There are two ways in which you can contact them: by phone, or by chatting with them online. Select the Transfer button when you are ready to move forward.
Add a delegate
It is possible to assign someone as your delegate in Teams so that they can receive your calls and make them on your behalf. A delegation is essentially a shared phone line between you and that person, so your messages will be visible to them as well as your calls are shared between them.
At the top of the Teams page, you can select Settings and more next to your profile picture and choose Settings > General to ask your team member to designate a delegate for you. You can manage the delegations by selecting the Manage delegates option under Delegation. Additionally, there is a column on the left side of the page that shows whom you are a delegate to, and you can also add and remove delegates of your own from there.
Share a line with a delegate
In Teams, you can go to the Settings and more section next to your profile picture and then choose Settings > General from the drop-down menu. The Manage delegates option can be found under Delegation. In the Add a delegate box, type in the name of the person you want to add as a delegate and click Save.
3. Review your call history
A list of your past calls (including missed calls) can be found in the center of the calls experience and is located at the top of the window.
You can find the history of your calls under Calls > History. Select More actions > Call back from any of the calls in the list if you would like to have an automatic call started.
Also, from the More actions menu, you can add that contact to your speed dial in order to be able to communicate with them, and you can add them to your contacts list.
4. Access your voicemail
Teams provides many familiar tools to help you get the most out of your calling experience, such as voicemail, which is yet another familiar tool.
Select Voicemail from the drop-down menu in the upper-right corner of the screen after going to Calls > History. You will be able to do the following from here:
- Review call recordings as well as the transcripts of the calls
- You can customize the rules for the calls that you receive
- Make a record of your greetings
- If you have received a message from anyone, you should call them back
By selecting More actions next to the name of the person you wish to call back, you will be able to choose to call back that person from the list of their call history. On the right side of Teams, you will find a Contacts section where you can click on Calls so that you can return the call from their contact details.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to know about Microsoft team meetings?
- Whether they have Microsoft Teams or not, you can connect with anyone.
- Organize HD Video Calls and participate in them as well.
- Make your meetings more accessible to everyone by turning on live captions so that everyone can participate.
- Work together in real-time on Meeting Notes.
What are some of the calls features available in Teams?
- Calls can be made and answered.
- Calls can be forwarded.
- Calls can be transferred.
- Take advantage of your voicemail by accessing it.
- Find out if there are any potential spam calls and get notified about them.
- Transferring calls from one device to another is possible.
- Use Apple Carplay to make a call while driving.
What information and options are available when receiving a call in Teams?
- Accept the offer with audio by selecting the option. During the call, you will only be able to hear the voice.
- If you want to accept with video, you need to select it. The call can be accepted and video can also be enabled as part of the call.
- By selecting Decline call, you will be able to decline the call. If you do not wish to take the call, you can decline it and go about your daily activities.
Do and don’ts of Microsoft Teams?
- It is recommended that you join on mute.
- It is important to minimize distractions by using background blur when taking pictures.
- Make sure that the camera is turned on whenever it is possible to do so.
- You should follow an agenda that is detailed and detailed.
- Install the Teams app on your computer by clicking on the link below.
- Do not overinvite people to your party.
- When you are not talking, please keep your voice muted.
- In order to share your screen, you need to zoom in.