Chatting with people in Teams can be done in three ways:
- All team members who follow the Posts tab can participate in the channel.
- Chatting in a group (without using a channel)
- With one other person (in a one-on-one chat)
It is important to know the following:
1. Name your group chat
You should name your group chat so that everyone knows what the conversation is about.
At the top of your chat list, select New chat to start a new group chat. Enter a name for the group in the Group name field by clicking on the down arrow on the right side of the To field. The name of the group chat will appear at the top.
You can rename a group chat at any time by selecting Name group chat.
Name your group chat so it’s easy to track.
2. Pin frequently used group chats
Keeping track of a chat is easy with pinning, even if you only need it temporarily.
Pinning a chat is as simple as highlighting it and selecting More options > Pin.
If you want to arrange your chats in a certain order, pin them first. Several pinned chats will be within reach when you do this for several.
Once you’re done using the chat, unpin it. You can pin up to 15 chats at a time.
Pin your group chats for easy access.
3. Share files and make calls from your group chat
Files can be shared and collaborated on in a group chat. You can then call everyone in the chat room at once.
The following two methods are available for sharing files in chats:
- You can copy the link directly from Teams by selecting More options > Copy link, then pasting it into a message.
- Upload your document by selecting Attach in the toolbar under your message.
Shared files are displayed in the Files tab in your chat.
The Files tab in your chat shows all the files you’ve shared with each other.
Select Audio call to start a call from a group chat.
4. Choose how much chat history to include
When you add someone to a group chat, you have a few choices about how much existing chat history they will see.
- Add participants by selecting View
- Add people by selecting Add people.
- You can add people to the chat by typing their names. Once they’re added, you can choose how much chat history they’ll see.
- Click on Add.
When adding someone to an existing group chat (not a one-on-one), you can include the chat history.
Messages from the very first message in a chat history are saved by Teams. You can still view someone’s chat responses even if they leave the group.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best way to use Microsoft team chat?
- The formatting process. If you format your comments, posts, or conversations in the right way, then it will make them more engaging and easier for people to understand. …
- There are a number of delivery options available to you. …
- Multiple channels can be used to post your content. …
- Tags that can be used to group things together. …
- Notifications for Chat and Posts can be managed. …
- The search feature.
What is the difference between a group chat and a team in Microsoft teams?
How do you group conversations in MS Teams?
- You can start a new chat by tapping the New chat button. You need to add the names of the people you would like to add to the form in the To field by typing their names in the box provided.
- You will be able to compose your message and send it.
- At the top of your screen, you will see the names of all the participants. Tap on their names.
- Click on the name of the group chat that you wish to join.
- Tap on Save once you have typed a name for the group.