Zoom’s mobile device management (ZDM) tool enables administrators to set their iPads in Autonomous Single App Mode (ASAM) by using Zoom’s mobile device management tool. It is possible to enable ASAM, which will prevent you from exiting the Zoom Rooms App, unless a network malfunction occurs or you are not signed in to the room. In ASAM, profiles are stored at the level of the room, which means that you can exit the app by signing out of the room. The iPad’s OS, as well as the Zoom Rooms app (which will be upgraded), can be updated, the iPad can be renamed, and it can also be assigned to a Zoom Room. After you have selected the Zoom Room from the web and powered on the Zoom Room, your device will automatically log in to that room. The pairing codes for ZDM don’t need to be activated, sign-in email addresses or activation codes for ZDM.
This article covers:
- How to prepare iPads for ZDM enrollment
- Required iPad settings
- MDM certification
- How to enroll iPads in ZDM
- Individual enrollment
- Batch enrollment with Apple Business Manager (ABM)
- How to assign an enrolled iPad to a Zoom Room from Device Management
- Related articles
Prerequisites for using iPads with ZDM
- A Zoom Room licence
- Holder, administrator, or Zoom Rooms administrator
- With an iOS Zoom Room controller
How to prepare iPads for ZDM enrollment
Required iPad settings
- Your iPad is now open.
- To update the software, tap Settings, then General. Then, click the Disable auto-updates button.
- To go back to the Settings, tap the arrows at the top right of the screen.
- To disable App Updates, tap the toggle next to Automatic Downloads under the App Store.
- To return to the settings page, tap the arrow in the top-right corner of the screen.
- You can disable auto-lock by going to Display & Brightness, then Auto-Lock, and finally by selecting Never.
Apple MDM Push certificates are required for managing Apple devices with Zoom. After downloading the Apple MDM certificate, it must be uploaded and authenticated to ZDM.
- Zoom’s web portal can be accessed by logging in.
- Select Device Management and then Enrollment in the navigation bar.
- Click Apple in the Enroll Devices section.
- The certificate will be uploaded.
- The .scsr file can be downloaded by clicking the Download link.
- Log in to Apple Push Certificates with your Apple ID.
- Select Create a certificate.
- Upload the .scsr file you downloaded in step 5.
- Select the Download MDM Push Certificate for Apple option.
- Download the MDM Push Certificate from step 9 and upload it to the Zoom web portal.
How to enroll iPads in ZDM
- Log into Zoom.
- Choose Device Management then Enrollment from the navigation panel.
- On the Apple tab, click Enroll Devices.
- Click Manually Enroll.
- Turn your device into a supervised device.
- Scanning a QR code or entering an access code will begin the enrollment process.
- Complete the enrollment process by following the instructions on your iPad.
The Profile must be installed on iPads running iOS 12.2+. In the Settings menu, tap General and then select Profiles & Device Management. Once that is done, tap Install.
Batch enrollment with Apple Business Manager (ABM)
- Zoom is a web portal where you can sign in.
- Choose Enrollment under Device Management in the navigation panel.
- Click the Apple icon under Enroll Devices.
- Select Automated Enrollment.
- Click Apple Business Manager (ABM).
- Select Upload Token.
- Zoom your public key.
- Authenticate with your Apple ID.
- The easiest way to create an MDM server is to go to Settings, then Manage Devices, followed by add MDM server.
- In step 7, you downloaded the Zoom public key from Zoom and entered the MDM server name.
- Click Save.
- After zooming in, you need to upload the MDM token.
- Tap Device Assignments in ABM once you’ve uploaded the token.
- After selecting a server in step 6, assign it.
- You can immediately sync the assignment(s) by clicking Refresh on the Enrollment page.
- When you boot up a new iPad, you will be prompted to install a profile from the Remote Configuration screen.
- The Configuration profile cannot be applied to existing iPads until they are factory reset.
- Tap Settings, General, and Reset on your iPad to start the process. Tap Erase All Content and Settings at the end to complete the process.
- You can install the configuration profile by tapping Next on the setup assistant screen that displays the remote configuration screen.
The Zoom Room app will automatically be installed and launched after you enroll your device and complete the setup assistant screens. ZDM has the following features you can access:
- Zoom Rooms can be upgraded remotely
- By enabling ASAM (Autonomous Single App Mode)
- Activate the autologin feature
- Renaming a Zoom Room with MDM
How to assign an enrolled iPad to a Zoom Room from Device Management
Unassigned iPads must be enrolled in ZDM in order to be assigned to Zoom Rooms.
- Zoom’s web portal requires you to sign in.
- To access the Device List, click Device Management from the navigation menu.
- Identify the enrolled in ZDM iPad then on the far right click the ellipse.
- Click Assign to Room.
- To assign an iPad to a room, select the device type, then type the room name or search for the room.
It will be possible for you to assign to the Zoom Room Computers, Zoom Room Controllers or Zoom Room Scheduling Displays.
- Click the Assign button.
- How to set your iPad into “Supervised Mode”
- Manually adding devices to ABM