It is not possible to add guests to shared channels. Shared channels won’t be accessible to guests if they are on a team with guests, so make sure your guests know that you are sharing the channel. If you want to allow people outside of your organization to access your shared channel, then you will find that it is relatively easy to do so.
What you need to get started
- As a prerequisite to inviting someone to the shared channel, you will have to make sure that they have their own Microsoft 365 Teams account, either from the place where they work or school.
- If you would like to set up a direct connection between the two companies, you will need an admin in both your organization and the company that you would like to invite to establish the direct connection
What’s B2B direct connect?
There is an option, as an admin, to set up channels, so that people can share a channel within an organization of Microsoft 365, as well as teams within an organization of another Microsoft 365 organization.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a shared channel in Microsoft Teams?
Can guests see channels in Teams?
How do I share my team channel with guests?
- Go to your team list in the App Store and tap Teams and then select the team you want to join.
- Then select the Manage members option from the More options menu.
- Enter the e-mail address of the guest and click the Add member button. Guests may join your team as a guest provided they have a valid email account, including Outlook, Gmail, or another email account associated with either a business or consumer email address.
- You can invite a guest by tapping Invite as a guest > Done at this point.
What is the difference between a member and a guest on Microsoft Teams?
Can I share a Teams channel with external users?