- Choose a profile picture for your profile.
- Select the Settings option.
- In the Notifications menu, select Notifications, then turn on or off the different types of notifications that are listed.
- Chat Notifications : mutes only chats (calls still come through).
- Contact comes online notification : alerts you when a contact is online.
- Reactions : notification of responses to messages.
- Notification sounds : to alert users to new messages.
- Tips & Tricks : you can show or hide Skype in-app notifications, but critical system notifications will still appear if it’s turned off.
- Scheduled call notifications: to remind you of upcoming calls.
- Poll notifications: receive notifications about polls on Skype.
- Do Not Disturb:
- Show chat notifications: for muting chats during Do Not Disturb mode.
- Show call notifications: mutes calls when in Do Not Disturb mode.
- Email Notifications:
- Missed chat reminders: for missed chats within the past 72 hours.
- Missed call reminders: Receive emails about missed calls within the last 72 hours.
If you prefer, you can also set your presence to Do Not Disturb from your profile so that your contacts will not be notified of your chat notifications while you are unavailable. It is important to note, however, that calls will still come through unless you disable Show call notifications under Settings > Notifications. Learn how to control who you receive calls from.
Can I reduce the number of Skype notifications without turning them off completely?
There are options in Skype that allow you to control alerts for specific conversations.
- From your chat list, select the conversation or group you want to join.
- Your chat window will display the name of your contact or group.
- Select Chat Settings from the bottom of a chat window. You can turn off or on notifications for a group by scrolling down to Group Settings.If you want to be notified only when you are quoted or mentioned in group chats, you can enable Smart notifications.
Why did I stop receiving Skype notifications?
Not receiving notifications could be due to a variety of reasons:
- Signing out of the app will stop notifications from being sent to you. Sign in to your account if you have not already done so.
- Ensure that conversations notifications are enabled.
- Ensure that your notifications are playing.
- Do Not Disturb mode prevents you from receiving chat notifications by default. In Settings, select Notifications, then turn off Show chat notifications after selecting your profile picture.
- Make sure that your device settings have not turned off Skype notifications. There are different ways to manage settings depending on the device. You may need to check the manufacturer’s website if you’re not sure how to check your device settings.
- Ensure that no notifications have been turned off for the conversation you are following.
- Update your Skype version.
- Make sure Windows 10 or Windows 11 doesn’t have Focus assist turned on.
Why am I still receiving Skype notifications after closing the Skype app?
If you close the Skype app without signing out first, you might still receive notifications. The notifications can either be disabled in your Settings or you can sign out before closing the app if you want to stop them.
Although you have turned off notifications in Skype, your computer may still play a sound when you receive a new message. During Skype messages, you can turn off or on Notification sounds by selecting Settings > Notifications.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I change my Skype notification settings?
How do I manage notifications in Skype on desktop?
Select the picture you would like to use for your profile.
Click onThe setting menu.
Then select it. By going to Notifications, you will be able to turn on or off each of the listed notification types.
How do I change the Skype notification sound on my desktop?
- Sound Settings can be adjusted by clicking the button.
- Click on the Sounds tab in the Sound dialog box.
- The Skype for Business event can be found under Program Events.
- The next step is to click on an event (for example, the end of a call).
- Choose a sound file from the Sounds list by clicking on it. Click on the Test button in order to hear what it sounds like.
How do I change the pop up notification on Skype?
How do I turn off Skype notifications?
How do I turn on the notification sound on my laptop?
Windows desktop app
Select the System option. Select Front under Get notifications from these senders. Make sure Notifications are enabled (if you’d like Front’s notifications to sound; specifically, make sure a sound is played when you receive a notification). Click on Control Panel.
How do I mute Skype group notifications?
How do I mute Skype on Windows?
- You can select Sounds by right-clicking the speaker icon in your taskbar.
- The Skype for Business section can be found at the bottom of the Program Events list.
- Then select (None) from the Sounds drop-down box and click OK.
How do I turn on Windows notifications?
- Select Start , then select Settings .
- Select System > Notifications & actions.
- Do any of the following: Choose whether to see notifications on the lock screen.