Let’s get started…
With the team as a whole
- Choosing a team and a channel will bring up the Teams menu.
- Click on New conversation.
- If you want to write your message, simply type what you want to say and click the “send” button.
I would like to work with you or a group of people
- Create a chat by selecting Chat.
- If you want to chat with someone or several people, type their name in the To field.
- Send your message by typing your message in the box.
Reply to a conversation
Messages are threaded by date, then organized by channel. It’s easier to follow multiple conversations when replies to threads are grouped under the initial post.
- You can reply to a conversation thread by finding it.
- Send your message by selecting Reply, adding your message, and clicking Send.
Use GIFs, emojis, and memes to have fun
Impress your colleagues by expressing yourself!
- Pick a meme or sticker from one of the categories under Sticker under the box where you type your message.
You can even upload your own stickers and memes to the Sticker catalog! If you’re looking for animated GIFs and smiley faces, check out Emoji and Giphy.
Share a file
Occasionally, words don’t suffice, and a file needs to be posted to a channel conversation
Tip: Microsoft Office documents are especially well suited for Teams.
- If you are in a channel conversation, click on
Attach your message under the message box.
- Choose from the following options:
- Check out the Teams and Channels section of the website
- I would like to upload a file from my computer
- Share a link by selecting a file.You can upload files from your computer by selecting a file, selecting Open, and then selecting Send.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I add files to Microsoft Teams chat?
- Click the Attach button below the message box.
- You can select a file’s source. Choose how you want to share the file, either by uploading it from your computer or by sharing one that you already saved to your OneDrive.
- Select a file.
- Click Open.
- Click Send.
Can you share a file on Teams in a chat?
What is an option to share a file in a conversation in MS Teams?
Click Attach. You should be able to select either Dropbox or Upload an image from your computer when you click on the area where your message is typed. It all depends on where you want to upload your message.
Once you have selected the file, you can either share it or open it.
Why can’t I attach a file in Teams meeting chat?
Attachment is not available
You might not be able to attach files to Teams chat if you are an external user. Your organization does not have an account for OneDrive for Business, so you won’t be able to use Microsoft Teams.
Can multiple users edit a file in Teams?
Can’t share files in Teams?
How do I make a file editable in Teams chat?
How do I give access to a team file?
Can you share files on Teams with external users?
How do I send a picture in Microsoft Team Chat?
- To share a photo in a chat, go there.
- Click the Plus button. On the right side of the window where you type your message.
- You can take a new picture using the Camera by tapping the Camera icon. …
- You can edit the photo once it has been selected, and then select Done once you are done editing the image.
- Tap the Send button if you would like to type a message, then type your message.