In Microsoft Teams, you can create channels for specific topics, projects, or departments.
- Using a General channel, you can share news and announcements that are important to everyone. The General channel is the default channel for every team.In the More options (…) section, click on Add channel to create a new channel.
- Give the item a name and add a description to it.
- Choose a level of privacy that suits your needs: Standard or Private.
- It is possible to set the channel to appear automatically in everyone’s channel list if you choose this option.
- The channel will then appear in the channel list of your team as soon as you select Add.
Check all steps in Video
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make a team a channel in Teams?
Create a private channel
When you are in the team you wish to add a new channel to, choose More options > Add channel from the menu. Please enter a name and a description for your account. If you choose the Down arrow under Privacy, you will be able to select Private – Accessible only to a specific team of people. Select Next.
Why can’t I create a channel in Teams?
What are channels in Microsoft Teams?
What is the difference between a team and a channel in Microsoft Teams?
How many channels can you create in Teams?
Where is channel in Microsoft Teams?
How do I share a channel on Microsoft Teams?
- If you want to share a channel, go to it and select More options from the menu. If you own a team, you can share the channel with that team.
- Select the team you wish to join from the list by typing the name of the team. Once you have selected Done, the process will be completed. Shared channels can be accessed immediately by the other members of the team who receive a notification when they are notified of a shared channel.