If you plan on working with people both within your team and outside of it, then you should set up a shared channel.
It is only the team owners who have the ability to create shared channels. In the event that a team owner creates a shared channel, then the team owner becomes the channel owner, and the channel inherited the team’s labels as soon as it was created.
Note: From Teams for desktop or from Teams for the web, you can create shared channels. It is not possible to create shared channels using the Teams mobile app.
Note: This public preview program will allow the public to experience shared channels and, if necessary, will be required to undergo additional modifications before they are made public as part of the public preview program. Those of you who have the public preview of Teams are already able to take advantage of this feature, as well as others that are coming soon.
Create a shared channel
Note: Shared channels cannot be changed into standard channels, nor can they be converted from standard channels into private channels. There is no way to change the host team after creating a shared channel, once the channel has been created.
- Choose More options > Add channel in order to create a shared channel for the team you wish to create it for.
- The name of your channel as well as a description should be entered here.
- Choosing Shared from the drop-down menu under Privacy will allow you to choose which people you want to have access to your account. Among these people may be people within your organization, or people from other organizations that will also have access to your account. Click on the Create button and then follow the instructions.
- If you now want to add a channel in your organization, simply choose the people who are part of the group where you want to add the channel and type their names in the box to select them from the group. Select from the list of people you wish to add the email addresses of people outside your organization and enter their addresses. Choose the Share option from the drop-down menu.
- Select the down arrow to the right of Member, then select the Owner option to change the current status of a Member into an Owner. Once you have selected Done, the process will be complete.
Note: If you are the team owner and you do not see an option to add a shared channel to your team, you may need to speak with your team admin or your team’s admin.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you share just a channel in Teams?
Why can’t I create a channel in Teams?
Can you add a guest to a channel but not a team?
Can I add members to a channel and not a team?