There’s no way you can delete an entire Team chat, but you can hide it or mute it so you don’t receive notifications about it anymore. To make it easier to find frequent conversations in your chat list, you can also pin them to the top of your list.
Note: If you have sent an individual message, you can delete it.
Hide a chat
- Open the chat list by selecting Chat from the drop-down menu.
- The option to hide a conversation can be found next to that conversation by selecting More options > Hide.
- You can always resume an old conversation you’ve hidden if someone posts a new message to it, and the chat history will be hidden until someone posts a new message.
Unhide a chat
Is there a chat that needs to be viewed again? Using the search feature, you can unhide a chat that you have hidden in the past.
- Firstly, find the name of the person you were chatting with in the Command box at the top of Teams and select them from the list. If you select the history button, you’ll see that it’s hidden (or, if you choose to show it, you can show it).
- If you don’t find the conversation right away in your chat list on the left, you will now be able to filter it by selecting Filter to find it if you don’t see it right away.
- Select More options > Unhide on the chat list once you have located the conversation in the chat list.
- You can view the conversation by selecting the Show hidden chat history option.
Mute a chat
You’ll still be included in a conversation when you mute it, but you won’t be notified when there are any changes in it.
- The chat list can be accessed by selecting Chat from the menu.
- Then you can select More options > Mute to mute the conversation you wish to mute.
- You can unmute it again if you change your mind.
Note: Whenever the chat has been muted, an icon appears next to each participant’s name.
Pin a chat
Your chat list can be pinned to the top for quick access to frequent conversations.
- Open the chat list by selecting Chat.
- In the More options section, click Pin next to the conversation you want to pin. You will stay on top of the chat list if you do this.
- Simply select it again and unpin it if you change your mind.
Tap Mute, Pin, or Hide on Chat by swiping left. Tap it again if you change your mind.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I hide the Chat icon on my team?
Can you leave a Teams chat without anyone knowing?
How do I change chat settings in Microsoft teams?
Edit a messaging policy
You can access the Messaging policies by visiting the left navigation menu within the Microsoft Teams admin center. After selecting a policy by clicking on the left side of the policy name, you will then be able to edit that policy. Make the necessary changes from here and then click on ‘Apply’. Then select the Save button.
How do you unhide a team?
How do I permanently delete chat history on Teams?
- Select the chat you want to delete from the Chat tab. A one-on-one chat, a group chat, and a meeting chat can be deleted.
- Select More options by hovering over the chat.
- Click Delete chat.