Without the correct settings for Zoom, the user may have difficulty hearing other conference participants. Or they will complain that it is hard to hear it. Both of these situations are quite unpleasant because they greatly complicate communication. Fortunately, they are not that difficult to eliminate. We have prepared a dedicated article on how to improve the sound in Zoom. First, we will focus on the PC program, and at the end – on the mobile application.
The easiest way to do this configuration is by joining a test conference:
- Go to this page in your browser.
- Confirm the entrance to it by clicking on the appropriate item.
Next, give permission to open Zoom Meetings.
- Join the non-video conversation if this question appears.
- Enter the audio conference if necessary.
- A ringtone should play through the headphones or speakers. If you can’t hear it, then change the device to “Speaker 1”. When everything is in order, click “Yes”.
- Try to say any phrase out loud. After a few moments, it should sound through headphones or speakers. If nothing happens, then change the device to “Microphone 1”. And then click on the “Yes” button.
- Return to the main window of the test conference and click on the indicated buttons one by one:
- This will open the Zoom audio settings. In the Speaker and Microphone sections, adjust the volume to your liking.
If the online conversation is interrupted ahead of time, then enter it again and immediately proceed to the desired step of the instructions.
This concludes the introductory part, let’s move on to the advanced settings.
- Detailed setting
On the same page, in the “Sound” tab, click on the “Advanced” button.
- By default, the program includes audio processing, it removes constant and intermittent background noise, as well as echoes. This is very useful in most cases, but sometimes it can distort the sound. This means that it should be removed. To do this, activate the “Show during …” option.
- Now a new button will appear in the conference window – “Enable original sound”. It is located in the upper left corner.
- Activate it, then the interlocutors will hear you without any processing. Disable this mode will exit if you press the same button.
If you are using a discrete (separate) sound card, then try to find the latest drivers for it and install them.
On the advanced options page, you can not only remove audio processing but also enhance it. This will be useful, for example, when the echo is still audible or there is a lot of noise in the background.
We’ve covered powerful ways to improve the sound in Zoom. But they only refer to software settings. But there are general recommendations that help in most cases:
- Connect a microphone and headphones to the rear port of a desktop computer, if available.
- Disable background music, TV shows, games, etc.
- Leaving and re-entering the online conference.
It is highly advisable that the microphone is close to your face and there are no obstructions in the middle. At the same time, it is worth speaking in a normal voice, not too loud and not too quietly, at a short distance from the device. According to some experts, the optimal distance between the mouth and the microphone is a fist or somewhere 5-10 centimeters.
We really hope that our recommendations helped you.
- Information for mobile devices
In the mobile application Zoom, the developers did not provide any settings to improve the quality of the microphone. This is due to the fact that in most cases there are no problems with it on phones and tablets, and everything is perfectly audible. But what to do if you have something wrong with the sound?
- Here are some guidelines:
- Make sure your internet connection is fast and stable. If possible, connect to a Wi-Fi network.
- Try plugging or unplugging your headset.
- A great solution is to speak closer to the microphone.
If none of this helps, then be sure to reconnect to the online conversation, or restart the device altogether, first turning it off and then turning it on.