The ability to join meetings on multiple devices at the same time is available to you if you have already joined a meeting on one device. You can, for example, join a meeting on your phone while already sitting in the meeting on your laptop. This can allow you to share live video and control presentations from your phone and also gain access to all the features of the meeting.
It is either a matter of transferring the meeting to a second device keeping the meeting on both devices.
Transfer a meeting from one device to another
- The following tips will help you transfer a meeting from one device to another when you are a member of one meeting on one device.
- From the menu of the new device, you will be able to select the device you would like to join and join it.
- Please choose the device that you want to transfer to.
- You can set the preferences for audio and video on your new device if you are planning to join a meeting using a new device that supports audio and video.
You will be prompted to leave your first device at the end of the meeting once you are in the new device during the meeting.
Add a second device to a meeting
- In order to open the Teams app on your second device while you are in the first device’s meeting, you should open it on your first device.
- In order to connect a second device with a first device, select Join from the Settings menu on the second device.
- Select the device you would like to add.
In order to prevent an echo effect like this on your first device, it is recommended that you turn off the camera and microphone on your second device before entering the meeting. The microphone and camera will automatically turn on or off once it is joined, so you can adjust their settings as needed.
Both devices can now be used to share content as long as they are in the meeting.
In addition to being able to use your phone for in-person meetings, you can also use it for virtual meetings.
If you want to join as a companion device, you must ensure that your phone is up-to-date with the latest version of Teams before joining.
Add your iPhone as a companion device to a nearby meeting
You can use your iPhone to join a meeting using your microphone and speaker as soon as you arrive at the location of the meeting. Once you have entered the Microsoft Teams Room or Surface Hub where the meeting has been set up as the meeting location, you can use your iPhone to join the meeting using your microphone and speaker. As soon as the meeting begins, or at any time before or after, you can join, and you can participate at any time during the meeting.
- If you are using an iPhone, make sure that Bluetooth is enabled and that Teams is enabled as well.
- During your meeting, open Microsoft Teams so you can work on the project together.
- If you are looking at the screen from the bottom of the screen or the top of the screen, then you will need to click the Add room option that you will find at the bottom of the screen or to the right of the screen. On the other hand, you will also be able to join in on the conversation on your iPhone as well as in the room at the same time.
The second device will be automatically switched off before it enters the meeting, so that the second device does not create an echo effect during the meeting. After you have joined the meeting room, you will be able to select whether the speaker, camera, and microphone should be on or off as you please, allowing you to respond, chat, share, and interact with the other participants when you are outside of the meeting room.
Add your phone as a companion device to a virtual meeting
If you have already joined a meeting on your laptop, then there is also an option that lets you join it on your phone at the same time that you have joined it on your laptop. For example, you may want to use this feature to share some of the content that you have on your phone with others if you wish to share content that you have on your phone with others.
- You can open the Teams app on your second device while you are still in the middle of a meeting on your first device if you are in the middle of one on your first. You can join by tapping the Join button.
- The Add button will appear once you click on it.
A speaker, camera, and microphone will be automatically turned off on that second device before it is allowed to enter the meeting so that an echo effect will not occur as a result of its presence in the meeting. You will be able to turn on or off the speaker, camera, and microphone as needed once the conference has been joined, and once you have moved away from the meeting room.
As long as you have a smartphone, it can be used for reacting, chatting, sharing, and more.
Turn on your speaker, camera, or mic from a companion device
Your companion device can also be used to participate in a meeting from a distance by turning on a speaker, camera, or microphone on your companion device in case you have moved away from a nearby meeting or a virtual meeting.
- Generally, you can turn on your speaker by simply tapping the Speaker icon at the bottom of the screen, and it will turn on the speakers automatically.
- At the bottom of your screen, you have the option of turning on the camera or microphone by tapping Camera or Mic.
- Once the Enable button has been tapped, the process will begin.
If you need to use a microphone, camera, or speaker, you can do so now.
Leave meeting on all devices
It is extremely easy to exit a meeting with one tap on any of your devices from which you have been part of the meeting, making sure that your privacy is protected. There is a way to close out your meeting on everything at the same time, regardless of whether you entered the meeting through your mobile phone, your desktop, or your Teams Room.
Leave on all devices from mobile device:
- You can leave your Team meeting by tapping on the Leave button in the Meeting window.
- On all of my devices, tap the Leave button.
Leave on all devices from desktop:
- Clicking the arrow on the left of the Leave meeting option in your Teams meeting window will reveal a drop-down menu that will allow you to choose which meeting to leave.
- All of my devices will be prompted to select Leave.