In a shared channel, the owner can manage a number of things, including whether or not the channel is active, what roles the owners and members have, and the settings for the channel.
Manage channel owners and members
Choose Manage channel option from the More options menu of the shared channel that you own.
The Manage Channel page allows you to do the following:
- Each person should be assigned a specific role. A Member can only be changed into an Owner if that member is a member of your organization.
- It is possible to see how many members are in a team. For a list of the members of a particular team, click the number next to the team name.
- Members can be removed from teams or teams can be removed from members.
Manage channel settings
- Choose More options Manage channel if you are a member of a shared channel that you own.
- Make sure you select the Settings option.
You can manage the permissions of a member, the @mentions and other fun stuff in your account.
Delete a shared channel
Select the More options > Delete this channel tab from the menu when you are on the shared channel that belongs to you.
Restore a deleted shared channel
- We need to select a host team for the shared channel, and to provide more options for managing the host team for the shared channel.
- Restore deleted channels by selecting the Deleted Channels option.
Managing owner roles, member roles, channel settings, and other aspects of a shared channel can be done by you, as a shared channel owner.
You will need to go to the shared channel you own and tap the name of the channel at the top of your screen to get to it.
Using this link, you will be able to do the following:
- The name of the channel can be managed
- The description of the channel can be managed
- The members of the channel can be managed
- The channel can be shown or hidden in the list of teams
- The channel can either be pinned or unpinned
- Using the channel search feature, you can find what you are looking for
- The channel has been left
- Channels can be deleted by clicking the delete button
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you manage channels in Microsoft Teams?
How do I enable shared channels on my team?
By expanding Teams on the left-hand side of the screen, you can find the Team policies admin center, which is accessible through the options on the left-hand side. If you wish to enable shared channels for a specific policy, you need to choose the policy and then choose Edit. The option Create shared channels can be enabled if you would like to allow the option for team owners to have the ability to create those channels if they wish to do so in the future.
Can you set different permissions for channels in teams?
What is the difference between a team and a channel in Microsoft Teams?