A particular chat message can sometimes be pinned for reference in a one-to-one or group chat. When a message is pinned, it remains at the top of the chat until it is removed or replaced.
Pinned chat messages: What you need to know:
- Everyone in a chat can see a pinned message.
- There can only be one pinned message at a time.
- Chats that are in progress are not affected by pinned messages.
- Any participant in a chat can unpin or replace any pinned message, except guests.
- The original message in the chat will appear when someone selects a pinned message.
Pin a chat message
- You can pin specific messages in a chat conversation by hovering over them.
- The More options menu will appear above the message.
- Go to More options and select PIN. Chats with pinned messages appear at the top. Additionally, it includes the author’s name and the original posting date or time.
A pinned chat message appears at the top of the chat window
Unpin a pinned chat message
- At the top of the chat, you’ll find a pinned message.
- Choose More options > Unpin.
- You will be prompted to confirm. Click OK.
Replace a pinned chat message
Simply pin a new message to replace an existing one. Upon replacing the original pinned message, you’ll receive a confirmation message.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you pin something to the top of a Teams chat?
Can you pin a message in Teams group chat?
How do you move to the top of a team chat?
- To move between conversations, press Tab and use the Up and Down arrows.
- You can read a message or reply to the thread of a conversation by pressing Enter, then using the Up and Down arrows.