Voice communication during a video conference Zoom is much more convenient than correspondence in a general chat, to which some of the participants may simply not pay attention. But it has one drawback: other people may hear something unnecessary if you do not cover or turn off the microphone in time. The result is an incidental situation and an ambiguous reaction. To avoid something like this, you should figure out how to put the microphone on the button in Zoom. This is what this article is about.
Since this function is really important, getting to it is quite simple:
- Run the program on a computer or laptop.
- Click on the profile thumbnail, which is located near the “Search” area.
- The main menu appears. In it, open the “Settings” item.
- Go to the Sound tab.
- Activate the “Press and hold …” option located below if it is disabled.
- Close the options window.
This option is only suitable for users who are logged into a Zoom account. But you can go to the settings in another way, without the need for authorization:
- In Windows, open the system tray, right-click on the blue program icon and select the appropriate item:
- On Linux and Mac OS, join any conference and then click on the marked buttons:
This function works as follows:
- The microphone must be muted when connecting to a conference. This will be done in the lower-left corner if you click on the corresponding option. As a result, the icon will become crossed out:
- When you want to say something, hold down on the keyboard Space, say the phrase, and release the key.
- Repeat the second step as you communicate.
Each time, the “Sound temporary on” alert will appear at the bottom of the screen. At this time, the interlocutors will hear you.
Unfortunately, it will not work to change the microphone activation button from the space bar to something else. This feature is not provided in the Zoom settings. But it has something different, or rather, a special key combination ALT + A (for Mac OS – Command (⌘) + Shift + A). It completely turns off your sound, and when it is off it turns it back on.
This combination always works, but only when the program window is open. You can make it work on top of any windows. For this:
- Follow the instructions above to visit the Settings page.
- Go to the Keyboard Shortcuts section.
- Find the item “Turn off / on my sound”.
- Check the box on the right.
- Close Zoom options.
And to return everything back, on the same settings page, click on the “Restore default parameters” button.