Microsoft Teams’ Search bar allows you to find and filter messages.
Search for a message
- The Teams app’s Search bar can be found at the top.
- Press Enter after entering the message keywords.
- Select Top results from the results list or Latest results from the results list when message results appear.
- Message results can be viewed by selecting More messages or selecting the Messages tab.
Filter message results
- The following filters can be applied when viewing more message results:
- Type – This will enable you to filter messages only from specific chat rooms and channels.
- Teams and channels – Messages may be filtered based on the team from which they originated or the channel they belong to.
- From – A person can be filtered so that only messages from them are shown.
- Date – Messages can be sorted by the date they were sent.
- @mentions me – If you have @mentions in your messages, you can filter them based on your @mentions.
- Has attachments – Attachment-containing messages can be filtered to remove them from the inbox.
- Hide apps & bots – Apps and bots can be used to hide the results of messages they send to users.
- If you want to clear all filters, select the Clear all option.
- Selecting Go to message in a message result will allow you to expand on a message and see more information about it in order to see more information about it in the actual chat.
Search for a message in a chat or channel
- You can find your keywords by pressing Ctrl + F and typing them in the chat or channel.The results pane displays all message results.
Check all steps in Video
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you search for a message in Teams?
How do I find and filter files in Microsoft Teams?
Search for files
- Team – to show files from a team or channel.
- File Type – to filter files by a certain file type.
- Modified by – to show files edited by a specific person.
- Date – to filter files by date.
How do I find old messages in Microsoft Teams?
View saved messages
Select your profile picture at the upper-right of your screen and then select Saved if you would like to view your saved messages. If you use a keyword search or a name search in Teams, you will be able to easily find and resume a previous conversation that you have had.
Can you filter Teams messages by date?
Filter by Date Range
Under the Messages tab, select More Filters to search within a specific date range. You can then search for a specific date range.
Is there a way to scroll to the first message on Teams?
How do you read a Teams message without seen?
Can Admin see deleted Teams messages?
Does Teams delete messages on both sides?
How do I get rid of this message was deleted in Teams?
- From the left hand side App Bar, navigate to the Teams tab.
- Select your team and proceed to the channel.
- Go to the Posts tab.
- Hover over your Message.
- Hit the More Options … (3-dots) button.
- Select Delete.
- That’s it.