In Teams, when sending a message to a channel, it is recommended that you use the email address of the channel in the body of the email if you are addressing the channel directly. It is important to note that once the email has been added to a channel, anyone with access to the channel can open a dialogue with it.
Send an email to a channel
In order to get the email address for a channel, go to the name of the channel and click on More options.
Reply to an email in a channel
It is treated in the same way as a reply to any other post in a channel when you reply to an email message that has been sent to that particular channel. There is no email reply sent to the original sender when you reply to post in Teams. In Teams, it is not possible to see the comments or conversations that are posted in a channel regarding an email that have not been shared with those outside of Teams.
View the original email
When an email is sent to a channel, sometimes it is a bit difficult to see the entire email within the conversation because of the size of the email. Click View original email under an email in the conversation if you would like to see that email in its original format.
Troubleshoot email failures
It’s not uncommon for a channel to fail to receive an email when it is sent to the channel for the following reasons:
- There is a problem with the feature because your IT administrator has not enabled it, which is causing the feature to not function. For more information, please contact your administrator. You will need to go to the Teams org-wide settings page in order to enable this feature. On this page, you must click the email integration setting to access the settings related to this feature.
- You may be restricted from sending an email based on the channel settings. For instance, if you have enabled the channel moderation setting, for example, then you cannot send an email to someone else. If you would like to send an email to a particular channel or team, then you must get permission from the team owner or channel moderator to do so.
- Over fifty images have been included in the email as inline images.
- Over 20 files have been attached to the email, which is a large amount of attachments.
- There is an attachment in the email that is more than 10 megabytes in size.
- Emails that include the channel e-mail address are included as part of a distribution list that is designed to make sure that channel members receive emails from the channel. Be sure to use the channel’s email address directly and make sure that you are using the correct address.
- If the SharePoint folder for a channel was deleted, renamed, or not synced, then it is unlikely that the new channel will manage the folder associated with the old channel.
- Reverting the renaming of a folder is as simple as following the steps below:
- From the Files tab of the channel, you will see the Show action button, under which you will find the Open in SharePoint option.
- Select Open the details pane More details from the menu at the top-right corner of your screen.
- Rename this folder using the previous name that it had under Activities and then under the original folder name that it had under Activity.
A folder can be synced by following the steps below:
Select Files > Sync under the channel menu on the left side of the screen.
- I am unable to open the email due to anti-spam protection. Contact your information technology administrator to verify that your network administrator hasn’t blocked the domain used in your email address, so that you can use this email address. As well as setting up the channel with any other Teams management settings, it is essential that you enable the ability to send emails to the channel as well if you have any other Teams management settings set up for it.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I send an email to a channel member in a team?
How do I control sending emails to team channels?
How do you send a message to a team group?
- Click on the Microsoft Teams icon on the left side of the screen.
- Choose the option of New Chat from the drop-down menu. button.
- Add a name to the group by selecting the Add group option. Your group chat will now have a name, so you can call it whatever you want.
- Please provide me with the names and phone numbers of anyone you wish to add to this group, as well as their email addresses, or in the To: line, let me know who you want to include.
- To complete the process of creating your new group, you will need to type a message and send it.
Can I send an email to a Teams group?
Can you send email from Microsoft teams?