Sound is a very important aspect of video conferencing in Zoom . The interlocutors must hear you clearly, without extraneous noise and other defects, otherwise communication becomes difficult. Therefore, it is so important to get everything right. In this article, we’ve put together the top tips for setting up a microphone in Zoom . We invite you to familiarize yourself with them.
There are three ways to get to the parameters page in the program:
- In the main Zoom window, click on the profile thumbnail icon and select the appropriate option.
- During the conference, click on the arrow-shaped icon in the lower left corner of the screen and select the lowest item in the menu that appears.
- In the Windows tray, right-click on the program icon and select “Settings …” .
Next, go to the “Sound” tab . Here you can adjust the volume and select the audio output device. There is also a button “Check …” . Click it and try to say something out loud. As a result, the “Input Level” bar should be filled. If not, then change the output device.
This page also has two useful options:
- “Mute my …” – when entering the conference, no one will hear you until you activate the microphone yourself.
- “Press and hold …” – for the interlocutors to hear you, you need to hold down the Space bar on the keyboard while pronouncing the phrase.
It makes sense to turn them on, otherwise funny situations are possible when other conference participants hear something wrong from you, for example, the speech of other residents of the apartment, incomprehensible noises, etc.
But this is not all the settings that I would like to analyze. Next, click on the “Advanced” button in the lower right corner of the page.
As a result, a new block “Audio processing” will open . The bottom line is that the program automatically removes various sound effects: background noise and echo. As a result, the interlocutors hear you better. So, the processing parameters can be changed or even disabled. But this should only be done when the sound is severely distorted.
The device setup is complete, it’s time to test the microphone in Zoom. Then you can figure out if everything sounds good. A test conference is perfect for these purposes. You can join it as follows:
- In your current browser, go to https://zoom.us/test .
- On the new page, click on the button that says “Login”
- When prompted to open Zoom Meetings , agree to it.
- Wait for the connection to the conference.
- In its window, click on the “arrow” in the lower left corner.
- Select Test Speaker and Microphone .
- A melody will sound in the headphones. Answer “Yes” to the question “Can you hear the ringtone?” …
Now try to pronounce any phrase clearly. After a few moments, it should sound in the headphones, and the Input Level slider should immediately respond to speech. This indicates that the microphone is configured and working correctly.