Channel owners have the option of sharing their channels with teams within your organization as well as outside organizations.
Note: During the public preview phase of the public preview, it is likely that some changes will have to be made to the shared channels in order for them to be released to the general public. To be able to access this new feature and others that will be released in the future, switch to the public preview version of Teams.
Share a channel with a team you own
- Select More options > Share channel > With a team you own in order to share the channel you want to share.
- Choose the team from the list that appears after typing the name of the team. Click on the Done button when you are done.
You will receive a notification once you share a channel with a team, informing the members of that team that they can begin viewing the channel immediately after sharing it with them.
Share a channel with another team
- You can share a channel with the rest of your team by accessing the channel, selecting More options, then selecting Share channel with a team from the list of options.2. If you wish to share your file with an internal team within your organization, you simply need to type the owner’s name and select from the list. The email address of the team owner needs to be entered and selected from the list in order to share with a team outside your organization. Select the Send invitation button after you have selected the invite type.
Managing your channel > Sent Invites will allow you to see all the invites you have sent.
Accept or decline a team invite to a shared channel
In case you are the team owner, you have the option of accepting or declining invitations to shared channels that other team members send to you.
If you are invited to a shared channel, you can click the link in your Activity Feed.
- Select either the Accept button or the Decline button.
- Please accept the invitation so that you can join the channel, and enter the name of the team you would like to be part of before selecting the team you wish to join from the list. Select the Done option at the bottom of the page.
Approve or deny a team for a shared channel
In case you are an owner of a shared channel, you can approve or deny teams to join your channel.
If you go to the activity feed within the application, you will be able to select the accepted invitation notification from the activity feed.
- Click on either the Approve or Deny button.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I share a channel link to a team?
- In order to make Teams open to the channel automatically, make sure that you have removed the &suppressPrompt=true query string from the URL.
- To test it out, navigate to the URL below and enter the URL in the address bar.
- There are a few ways you can share the URL with people who need it. You can either create a short link to the URL or simply share it with people who need it.
How do I add a team channel to my team?
- Select the team name in the Teams section of the screen, and then tap the More options button at the bottom of the screen. Channels can be managed by going to the Manage channels page.
- Click on the Add button.
- In the Privacy section, tap the Private button as shown in the image below.
- After you have tapped the back button, click the Done button.
- If you wish to add new members to the list, you will need to type their name in the Add field of the Member Add page, and then tap Done when you are finished.
How do I copy a channel from one team to another?
- In a channel, you can access files by going to the Files tab.
- Click on More options to see more options.
- Upon opening the navigation dialog box, you will see two options in the top left corner: Move or Copy, and then you will have to navigate to the folder where the file(s) you want to move or copy should be saved.