In Teams, someone else will take care of receiving and making calls on your behalf, so whoever you choose as your delegate will take care of it on your behalf through Teams. You can add a delegate to your account and they will be able to view and share all your phone calls, for example, if you add a delegate to your account, you are basically sharing your phone line with them.
Add a delegate
- Located at the top of Teams, next to your profile picture, select Settings and more, then select General under the General heading.
- The Manage delegates option can be found under Delegation.
Note: Your lack of delegation options may be due to the fact that you do not have either a license for Business Voice or Enterprise Voice, which could explain why you are not seeing delegation options in your settings. I would like to remind you that it could take up to 24 hours for changes to a license to be automatically applied to a system after they have been made.
- Enter the name of the delegate in the Add a delegate box after you click Your delegates and click the Add a delegate button.
- There are some permission settings that you have to set up when you add a delegate. It is also possible for the new delegate to change the call and delegation settings for you in addition to allowing them to make and receive calls on your behalf. By clicking the Save button, you will be able to select which permissions you wish to grant them.
- The new status of your delegate will be notified to your delegate through an email notification.
In the called-forwarded and simultaneous ringing options available in your call forwarding menu, you will be able to select your new delegate from the new delegates list, which will be a default selection.
- Select Settings > Calls from the main menu. Under the Forward to section of the menu, you will find that My delegates is the default option for forwarding my calls.
- You can repeat the process by going to Settings > Calls again. In the Also ring menu, you’ll find an option called “My delegates” under the Calls ring me section.
- The delegates can track when and with whom you are on a call, so they know when you are on the call.
- If you or your delegates would like to put on hold or resume any call that has been made or received by you or on your behalf, you can do so at any time.
Make and receive calls as a delegate
You can make and receive calls on behalf of another person once you have been assigned the role of a delegate.
- In order to speak to the person you want to call, you should start (or go to) a one-on-one chat with them.
- You can also use the dial pad to enter a number and select the Call option.
There is no requirement for your delegations to be private. You can always see the calls you place and receive on behalf of your delegator (the person who assigned you as a delegation).
Put calls on hold as a delegate
Calls can also be put on hold by delegates. In your call window, you can select More actions and select Hold from the list of options.
There will be an announcement that everyone in the call has been put on hold and can now choose to continue the call by clicking Resume. Additionally, you or your delegate will receive an alert that the call has been put on hold. For shared line hold and resume to be possible, the setting for music on hold in Calling policy needs to be enabled.
Change your boss’s call and delegate settings
If you are the delegate of someone else, you will be able to view and edit their call and delegation settings for them.
- If you click on Settings and more at the top of the Teams page, you will find the option to select General under the Settings section next to your profile picture.
- Delegates can be managed under the Delegation section of the Delegation page.
- Select People you support from the drop-down menu. As a delegate, you will be able to see a list of people that you have been assigned to. Simply hover over any name in the list and you will have the option of viewing the permissions associated with that name, changing the delegates, or changing the call settings indicated on your left.
- Depending on the type of delegate your boss has, you can edit any of their permissions by selecting View permissions, Change delegates to make changes to their delegates, or Changing call settings to amend their call settings for your boss.
Frequently Asked questions
How do I assign a phone number to a user in Teams?
How do you set up a team call on behalf of someone else?
To set the lobby preference in outlook you are required to go to the team add in the outlook program, click team meetings, then click Meeting Options on the invite so that you can specify the lobby preference according to your requirements. The person who is making the change must know that this applies only to them.