It is possible to talk privately or collaborate with a small group of people with the Microsoft Teams mobile app by starting a 1:1 or group chat.
Start a chat
- Tap on Chat > Start a new chat.
- It is possible to add a contact (or contacts) to talk to.
- Tap the Send button when you are finished typing your message.
Add a group chat name
- Tap the chat’s top.
- Tap the name of the group chat.
- Tap Save after typing a name.You can find group chats more easily if they have a name.
Note: Only group chats can add names.
Reply or react to a specific message
- You can engage or react to a message by tapping and holding it.
Note: Double tap to like or reply to a specific message by swiping right.
Edit a message
- You can edit a message by tapping and holding it for a few seconds.
- You can edit your message by tapping the Edit button.
- Then tap Done when you have finished making your changes.
- You can add emojis by tapping Emojis next to where you type your message, and you can add GIFs by tapping GIFs.
- The GIF library has a wide variety of options that you can choose from or search.
- Click on the Send button to send the message.
Mute a chat
- You can do this by tapping the top of the chat window.
- The Mute chat button can be toggled on and off.
Check all steps in Video
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I start a chat session in Microsoft Teams?
What are three ways to start a chat in Microsoft Teams 2021?
- Tap New chat. In the field labeled To, you will need to type the names of the people that you would like to add to the email.
- It is now time for you to compose your message and send it.
- At the top of your screen, you will find the names of the participants.
- Click on the name of the group chat.
- You will have to type a name for the group and then tap the Save button.
How do you start chat with external users in Microsoft teams?
Why can’t I see the chat in Microsoft teams meeting?
How do you type in team chat?
- Click on New chat. You can start a new conversation by clicking the conversation button at the top of the app.
- At the top of your new chat, type the name or names.
- The bottom of the chat box is where you can compose your message. You can access your formatting options by selecting Format. There is a box beneath it.