Several ways can be used to start an impromptu meeting.
From your calendar
- Select Meet now in the upper right corner of the Calendar on the left side of Teams.
- A few things need to be set up before the meeting begins. Choose a title, choose a video source, and choose the audio source.
- Once you’re ready, click Join.
All you need now is people to attend your meeting.
People can be invited by:
- The top right box under People allows you to type in the name or phone number of someone you’d like to invite. You’ll be able to contact them immediately after selecting them from the list.
- In addition, you can copy and send the meeting link to someone you want to meet with, and they can join by clicking on it. Paste the link into a message after you click Copy join info.
Starting an instant meeting is a great option if Outlook or Teams don’t have meeting scheduling capabilities. All attendees will have access to the meeting chat, the recording, and any documents and notes people share during the meeting, even after the meeting has ended, just like scheduled meetings.
Select Join from the meeting chat list at any time if you wish to rejoin the same meeting.
In a channel
To start an instant channel meeting:
- In the left-hand menu, click Teams. You can choose a channel from the list to meet in.
- The Meet icon can be found at the top-right of the Posts tab. Choose Meet now from the drop-down menu. Alternatively, if you want to keep the conversation in context, choose Reply below any post, and then Add to Meeting under the box where you would type your message.
- Choose whether to include video in your meeting and give it a title.
- Click Join now when you’re ready.
You can now join your meeting from anywhere in the channel.
To invite people:
- The box under People in the top right allows you to enter someone’s name or phone number. If they appear in the list, select them, and they will be contacted right away.
- If you want to meet with someone, you can copy the meeting link and send it to them. Paste the link into a message after selecting Copy join info.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you start a Teams meeting without the host?
How do I make my team meeting open to everyone?
The meeting participants will appear in a list. To access Meeting options, click here. You can also access this option during a meeting by selecting More actions at the top of the meeting window, then Meeting options. Your options will be displayed in a panel on the right.
How do I start an instant meeting in the Teams Mobile App?
Can I start a Teams meeting without notifying everyone?
Can you create a Teams meeting without attending?
How do you tell if a Teams meeting has started?
How do I send a team meeting link?
How do I start a meeting in Microsoft Teams on my laptop?
How do you set up a team meeting?
- Navigate to Teams > Calendar.
- Choose + New meeting.
- Your meeting should have a title. Decide on a time and date. …
- Select a class team channel to meet in, or type in the names of individual attendees. …
- Review the details of your meeting.
Can you set up a Teams meeting to automatically record?