Chat privately or in small groups, and pin chats to make them easier to find.
Start a chat
There are two types of chats that you can have in Chats: 1:1 and group chats.
- You will be able to select the option New chat.
- Identify the person(s) you wish to contact by typing their name in the field provided.
- Adding a name to your chat group can be done by selecting the down arrow next to the name.
Make video and audio calls from a chat
- You can call someone directly from a chat by selecting Video or Audio call.
Pin a chat
- The pin option can be found under More options > Pin. In the Pinned list, the chat appears.
Note: A maximum of 15 chats can be pinned.
- Choose More options > Unpin from the chat menu.
Check all steps in Video
Frequently Asked Questions
Select New chat
On your chat list, you will find the option to start a new chat at the top. To begin typing a name for the chat, click the down arrow to the right of the To field, and then type a name in the Group name field to the far right of the To field. If you would like to add more people, type their names in the To field of the email.
- From the Teams screen, click Recent Chats.
- To the right of the staff listing in the chat, click the three dots.
- The select “pin.”
- Pinged chats will appear above all other chats in a new “pinned” section.
Press and hold the app you want to pin to the taskbar on the Start menu or the apps list, then, if available, select Pin to taskbar from the pop-up menu. Press and hold (or right-click) an app in the Start menu or apps list, and then select More > Pin to taskbar when you are presented with the menu.
To help chat participants stay on top of important messages, Teams allows you to pin chats to the top of the screen. As well as pinning messages in channel conversations, you can also highlight them differently inside channel conversations. Message pinning is a feature that can be very useful for individual users, but it is important to get the details right before deciding how useful it will be to them.
If someone pins their video onto Microsoft Teams, can they find out that you have pinned it? The answer to that question is no, they don’t. Due to the fact that you can only pin your own views, and not those of the other participants in the meeting, when you pin your own views. Essentially, if you pin someone, they won’t even know about it, since they will not receive any kind of notification, letting them know that they have been pinned.
One of the main differences between a spotlight and a pin is that a spotlight is used by the presenter and is displayed on everyone’s screen, while a pin is used by the participants in the meeting and is not displayed on any other screen.
They don’t. That’s the short answer.
Those that you pin will not be able to see who has pinned them except for you. A user has the option of pinning as many or as few people as they want to their Google Meet page, and this feature is extremely private.