Zoom’s virtual backgrounds allow you to show an image or video as a backdrop during a video conference. Learn how to create your own virtual background or use our free templates to stand out at the next online meeting.
The days are gone when, to be together, it was necessary to be close to people – something very advantageous in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. With the help of technology, meetings can take place anywhere. Whether at home, on the subway or at the gym, connecting with people has never been easier.
Zoom’s video conferencing platform is one of the most popular online “offices” among remote workers – a group that has grown rapidly in recent weeks. Through Zoom (and Google Hangouts, Microsoft Teams, Skype, and the like), millions of people are doing business and working directly from their homes.
However, not everyone has the luxury of having a home office. Among those who have, it is possible that the organization of the space is not adequate. Truth be told, many have just started to furnish their homes now. So much so that a recent study with young professionals found that 80% of them admit to working in bed (which is terrible for productivity).
Fortunately, for video meeting moments, Zoom has a feature that will transform your environment into whatever you want. It is the “virtual fund”, a feature that can take the videoconferencing experience to another level – with a personal touch.
In this article, we’ll show you how to use Zoom’s virtual background, plus some simple tips to make your meetings even more productive and fun.
What is Zoom?
Zoom is one of the best video conferencing services in the world that you can use for virtual meetings with other people, via video, audio, or both. The free registration allows you to hold meetings with up to 100(hundred) participants, which can be recorded easily for future requirement viewing.
A “Zoom meeting” is a video conference process that can be held using a phone or webcam. A “Zoom room” is a hardware system that allows companies to schedule meetings, as in a private space (and this requires a paid subscription).
You can download the Zoom Desktop Client here.
The Zoom service center, available in English only, presents the list of technical requirements for the use of virtual funds on PC, Mac, Linux, and iOS. Generally speaking, if your system is new, you will have no problem accessing and using funds, including options recently added.
Some earlier versions may also feature the background feature. However, you may need to use a green screen to get a good result.
Here’s how to add or change a Zoom virtual background:
- Enter the Zoom Desktop Client.
- Click on your profile photo and select the Settings menu.
- Select I have a green screen if you have this feature or if your background has a specific color, such as a white wall. You can click on your video to select the exact color.
- Click on an image to select a virtual background or add a custom one by clicking + and upload an image or video.
How to add a virtual background during a meeting in Zoom
While in your meeting, find the menu button next to the Stop Video option at the bottom of the window and select Choose Virtual Background. This will take you to the virtual background settings.
Best practices when using virtual funds in Zoom
- To have a better effect on the virtual background, it is recommended that you use solid colors in the background, preferably a green screen. Regardless of your choice, select a matte, non-reflective option.
- Keep the background screen close to you.
- Do not wear clothes with colors similar to your background.
- If you are using your computer or cell phone camera, make sure it is unobstructed and free of dirt.
- High-quality cameras guarantee a better image for the virtual background. So, ideally, you should use an external camera.
- Try to maintain uniform lighting on your face so that there are no blemishes.
- Avoid standing near windows and remember that natural lighting varies in intensity throughout the day.
- Positioning a lamp in front of you can guarantee a more professional appearance. Even better if you can use an LED ring light.
- Use high quality, high-resolution images.
- Zoom recommends that you use backgrounds with a 16: 9 aspect ratio and a minimum resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels.
- The platform indicates that the videos (mP4 or MOV format) have a minimum resolution of 480 x 360 pixels (360p) and a maximum of 1920 x 1080 pixels (1080p).
- If your background image includes text, uncheck Mirror my video in the settings.
A quick and easy way to create a high-quality image for your virtual background is to use a Canva template. Select your favorite from the various background template options for Zoom or adjust any design to 1280 x 720 pixels and add, remove, and customize elements to your liking.
10 reasons to use a virtual Zoom background
A good quality scenario can improve the appearance, results, and productivity of your meeting. See how:
1. They keep their personal space private
Not everyone is a beast in the art of an organization like Marie Kondo. Using a virtual background will ensure that your untidy bed, dirty dishes, or drying clothes are hidden.
The template below is ideal for hiding all kinds of mess in the house and still giving a professional touch to your communication.
2. They help to break the ice
Virtual backgrounds can cause a bit of awkwardness in first uses, especially for those who are not used to seeing themselves on a camera. So, a fun background can serve as an icebreaker for conversations.
If you are passionate about dogs, you will surely love using a virtual background with cute dog illustrations.
3. They convey professionalism
Want to show your colleagues and customers that you are serious? Choose a background with an elegant meeting room or incorporate your logo, fonts, and color palette.
Customize the template below to ensure a professional and personalized look.
4. They feel calm
Bring some peace and tranquility to your desktop using a selection of calm colors on your virtual background. Choosing a shade of blue or pastel can be a good idea, as well as selecting a landscape photo (sky, sea, and beach are always good choices).
Convey positivity and good humor with a beach background in your next Zoom meetings.
5. They add a touch of fun
Who said meetings need to be boring? A fun background can make the environment lighter and encourage a personal connection with your colleagues.
Get in on the trendy avocado trend with this Zoom virtual background.
6. They minimize distractions
We’ve all seen those videos of embarrassing interviews when someone’s son appears in the background. So, a virtual background can hold attention, blocking the view of spaces in the background or unexpected interruptions, making the meeting more focused and productive.
A smooth model is an ideal solution for you to be the center of attention without giving up a personalized background.
7. They offer freedom
The great beauty of virtual backgrounds is that you can hold your meeting anywhere – on the beach, on the moon, or on the set of your favorite show. They can also provide context, indicating where the meeting members are.
Get in the London mood with an image of Big Ben as your virtual background.
8. Facilitate the identification of meeting participants
You no longer have to worry about customers and colleagues who forget your name. A virtual background can present you, your work, email, social networks, favorite snacks, or any other details you want to share with your group.
Customize the template below with your details to help meeting participants get in touch with you.
9. Simplify the presentation of additional information
Is there an easier way to display data than simply pointing? (Of course, without covering them with your head). Including a simple message, list or infographics will ensure that everyone will see your message.
Use a virtual blackboard background template and make it easy to understand your explanations.
10. Make your meeting unforgettable
We are able to retain much more information when we are visually stimulated. So an attractive scenario can better involve the members of the meeting and make it easier for them to keep their message.
Nothing is more motivating than a background full of colors and inspiration.
Whatever your favorite look or background, remember to test it before a meeting to avoid any problems. Now go ahead and give your Zoom conference a personal touch and make a great impression on other participants.