Dropped calls, low-quality audio, and delayed video can be caused by a poor Internet connection.
You can improve your internet connection by following these tips.
Choose the right Wi-Fi bandwidth
You can choose between 2.4GHz and 5GHz depending on the layout of your home. It is possible to check if there are any dead spots on your Wi-Fi network, if there is congestion caused by too many devices connected, as well as if there is interference by downloading a Wi-Fi Analyzer app.
- Pros: More wireless devices support 2.4 GHz compared to 5 GHz, so it has a longer range and can go through obstacles (for example, walls).
- Cons: Due to household devices (such as microwaves and cordless phones) and Bluetooth devices, 2.4 GHz networks have a slower throughput, fewer channels that do not overlap, and are more congested than 5 GHz networks.
- Pros: Throughput is faster, channels are less congested, and there are more channels that do not overlap.
- Cons: The range is shorter compared to 2.4 GHz networks, the signal doesn’t penetrate walls and other obstructions as well as 2.4 GHz, and other devices are not as widely used as 2.4 GHz networks.
Move the router to a central location
Keep the router as close as possible to your device by minimizing the number of walls and ceilings between them. Avoid being close to another electronic device (microwave, cordless phone, baby monitor), ideally in line of sight. Adding a repeater or moving closer to the router will increase signal strength. Additionally, neighboring Wi-Fi signals should be reduced in order to reduce potential interference.
Check your speed
Both you and the other participant need enough bandwidth to conduct a high-quality video call. Whether you opt to do a speed test online (by typing in speed test into your web browser and choosing one to test your download and upload speed), or to have your Internet service provider (ISP) do it for you, you will be able to know your download and upload speeds. Check the speed of your ISP against the speed that it should be providing as per the agreement. It is worth asking your Internet service provider for help if you have a slow Internet connection on a regular basis.
Update your hardware
Keep your router and network adapter’s drivers and firmware up-to-date. If you often use multiple devices simultaneously, you may want to consider upgrading your router and adapter to a newer one that supports the latest Wi-Fi standards and higher gain antennas. In the event that everything else fails, it might be worthwhile to upgrade your hardware.
Check with other participants
Despite everything being fine on your end, it’s possible that the other participant has a connection problem.
For network administrators
The following resources are relevant to IT administrators.
Implementing VPN split tunneling for Microsoft 365 and Teams in Microsoft 365 Enterprise | Microsoft Docs – Microsoft 365 Enterprise: Implementing VPN split tunneling in Microsoft 365
Antivirus, Firewall, and Proxies
M365 network connectivity principles – Microsoft 365 Enterprise | Microsoft Documents – Microsoft 365 network connectivity principles
Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs – Getting your organization’s network ready for Teams – Prepare your organization’s network for Teams
Implement Quality of Service – Quality of Service Guidance for Microsoft Teams: Microsoft Docs – Microsoft Teams
Frequently Asked Questions
How can Microsoft Teams improve connectivity?
- Make sure your Wi-Fi bandwidth is appropriate. Choose between 2.4GHz and 5GHz according to your home’s layout. …
- Locate the router centrally. …
- Make sure your connection is fast. …
- Hardware should be updated. …
- Make sure others are participating. …
- Administrators of networks.
How do I fix poor connection on Microsoft Teams?
Select Troubleshoot, then Internet Connections from the Update and Security section of the Settings app. Apply all changes recommended by the troubleshooter after it runs. The system should be restarted. You can try again by opening Microsoft Teams and signing in.
What is good Internet speed for Teams calls?
Your total internet connection speed should not exceed 30 percent of this number. Teams and Phone System should not consume more than 18 Mbps if your internet connection is 60 Mbps.
Why are my Teams calls choppy?
How do you troubleshoot team call quality?