Zoom Room controllers are not always in the most convenient location, so with heightened avoidance of shared touch surfaces as people return to offices, the Zoom desktop client can be used to start meetings on your Zoom Room straight from the desktop.
The Zoom mobile app can also be paired with nearby Zoom Rooms to start meetings or join meetings directly from the Zoom Room. You will also be able to manipulate the Zoom Room directly from the Zoom mobile app.
- Prior to passing a meeting to a paired Zoom Room, the Zoom desktop client must be paired with the Zoom Room. Once a meeting starts or joins, pairing is not possible.
- Zoom Rooms can only be paired with users who are signed in to the desktop client with the same account.
Prerequisites for pairing a Zoom Room with the Zoom desktop client
- Editing account settings requires either account owner or admin privileges
- Zoom mobile app
- Windows version 5.7.0 or higher
- macOS version 5.7.0 or higher
- Zoom Rooms
- Windows version 5.6.7 or higher
- macOS version 5.6.7 or higher
How to enable pairing on the account
For all users in the account, the following steps must be taken to pair with a Zoom Room on the desktop client:
- You can edit your account settings by logging into the Zoom web portal as an administrator.
- On the left-hand menu, click Account Management, followed by Account Settings.
- Click Meetings in the left-hand menu.
- You can turn on the “Pair with Room” feature on Zoom’s client by clicking the Show “Pair with Room” toggle under More Settings.
- In case a confirmation dialog appears, click Enable to confirm the change has been made.
- You may also (optionally) choose to make this setting mandatory for all users in your account by clicking the lock icon and then clicking Lock to confirm the setting.
How to enable pairing on the Zoom desktop client
- The first step is to sign in to Zoom on your computer.
- Go to your profile picture and click on the Settings tab.
- You can activate the Show “Pair with Room” mode on the home screen navigation bar by selecting the checkbox next to it under the General tab.
- Admins of the account have disabled this feature if the option is grayed out.
How to pair with the Zoom Room
- Sign in to your Zoom account using the Zoom desktop client by opening the client.
- Zoom Room pairing can be found in the top-right corner of your profile picture, just below your profile picture.
Zoom Rooms or Personal Zoom Rooms nearby will be attempted to pair with the desktop client. Upon pairing, you will receive a notification telling you which Zoom Room the client has been paired with.
If automatic pairing does not work or if you want to pair with another Zoom Room nearby, you can do this manually.
- Activate the Zoom Room pairing button again, click the next Zoom Room that has been detected or click Manually pair with another Zoom Room.
- You have to enter the Sharing Key, which is displayed on the Zoom Room display, in order to pair the two devices.
As soon as the pairing has been successful, a notification will appear on your screen informing you of the room in which the client is now paired.
How to start or join meetings from the Zoom Room
You can now start or join meetings from the Zoom Room when you are using the Zoom desktop client combined with a nearby Zoom Room.
- Create a meeting or join an existing one. There will be a prompt asking you whether to Join from Room or Join from My Computer.
- In order for the Zoom Room paired with the meeting to join the meeting, select Join from Room.
You will still be able to connect to the meeting through your desktop client, but the video and audio will be disabled.
How to unpair from the Zoom Room
You can disconnect from the Zoom Room at any time by clicking Unpair in the Zoom desktop client’s top-right corner. Until the meeting ends or another person taps Leave on the Zoom Room control tablet, the Zoom Room will remain connected to the meeting.