A meeting host can place a participant in the waiting room temporarily to prevent the video and audio from being transmitted by that participant to other participants, even if the waiting room is not enabled for this meeting. Participants who are on hold will not be able to see or hear those who are in the meeting while others can continue.
We have found that interviewers, dissertation committees, or meditation sessions are common uses of this software.
- Host permission for the meeting
How to place a participant in the waiting room in a meeting
An attendee can be put on hold during a meeting if the setting is enabled.
- As the host, begin a meeting.
- Using the controls on the right side of the screen, click on Participants.
- If you would like to put the name of the attendee on hold, you can hover over the name. Once you have clicked More, you will be able to put the name in the waiting room.
There will now be an indicator in the Participants list indicating that this attendee is in the Waiting Room. There will be an indication on the screen that they will be able to enter the meeting soon when the meeting host lets them in.
- Click on the button “Admit” to bring them back into the meeting to the right of the participant in the Waiting Room.
- (Optional) To bring back all participants from the Waiting Room at the same time, click Admin All, if more than one participant is still in the Waiting Room.
How to place a panelist on hold in a webinar
A panelist can still be put on hold, which functions similarly to putting them in a waiting room, even though webinars don’t have waiting rooms.
- As the host, begin a webinar.
- Go to the host controls and select Participants.
- You can put on hold a panelist by hovering over his or her name. Select the More option, then the Put on Hold option.
This attendee will now appear in the Waiting Room section of the Participants list. Their screens will indicate that they will be able to enter the meeting soon.
- The participant on hold can be brought back into the webinar by clicking Admit to the right of their name.
- To bring back all participants on hold at the same time, click Admin All if more than one are on hold.