Meeting polls allow you to ask multiple choice or single choice poll questions during meetings. These polls are available for single choice and multiple choice polls. The poll will allow you to collect the responses from your meeting attendees during the meeting, and you can launch the poll during the meeting. In addition, after the meeting, you have the option of downloading a report on the polling results. For those who do not wish to collect participant information with the poll results, you can conduct the poll anonymously.
The polling reports contain a full analysis of the results, such as each participant’s answers as well as the times at which each answer was submitted. These reports are automatically made available after each meeting by default, but can also be made available during the live meeting.
Additionally, you will be able to create and launch advanced polls and quizzes.
The option of creating either standard polls in a webinar or advanced polls during the webinar is also available.
The following topics are discussed in this article:
- Limitations of polling
- How to add poll questions
- How to launch a poll
Prerequisites for polling for meetings
- A licensed host user type is required
- Meeting polling enabled
- Zoom desktop client
- for Windows: version 5.5.0 or later
- Zoom desktop client for Mac: version 5.5.0 or higher
- for Linux: version 5.5.0
- Zoom mobile app*
- for Android: version 5.5.0
- Zoom mobile app* for iOS: version 5.5.0
- Zoom web client
- Using either a scheduled meeting or your Personal Meeting ID, the meeting must be instant
The iOS and Android mobile apps allow users to participate in polls, but the desktop client is required to manage polls.
Limitations of polling
- A meeting’s host is the only person who can edit or add polls by default. A user who has transferred the host or co-host role will only be able to run polls that have already been created. Alternative hosts are able to add or edit polls, but when setting the alternative host, the host should enable the setting that allows alternative hosts to add or edit polls.
- A single poll can contain a maximum of 10 questions, and there is a limit of 50 polls for a single meeting.
- Polls can be relaunched in meetings, but the poll report will only show the last poll that occurred in the meeting. Consider creating a second poll with the same questions as the original one if you know you will need to launch the same poll twice and would like both sets of results. This will prevent you from re-launching the poll.
How to add poll questions
It is either possible to create polling questions ahead of time or to do so during the meeting. During a live meeting, you may create a poll or edit an existing poll through the web portal.
- Zoom’s web portal can be accessed by signing in.
- From the menu, select Meetings
- Click on the topic of your scheduled meeting.
- Now is the time to schedule a meeting if you do not have one.
- To find the polls, scroll to the bottom.
- Press + Create to begin creating the poll. There will be two options, including Poll and Quiz if advanced polling and quizzes is enabled.
- The name of the poll can be changed by clicking Untitled Poll.
- You can edit the following details by clicking the question area:
- You can edit the name of a polling question by clicking the Untitled Question area.
- Select the type of polling question from the drop-down menu to the right of the question name.
- Single Choice:
- A poll participant can choose only one answer from the given options.
- Multiple Choice:
- Participants may select more than one answer.
- Each blank must be filled in with at least one choice.
- To add additional options, click + Add Choice.
- Select the question to be deleted, then click Done.
- To replicate the current polling question, click Duplicate.
- To create an additional question, click Add a Question.
- You may rearrange the order of each question and answer as you see fit.
- Click the button below to access these options:
- Participants can answer anonymously if they so choose:
- Participants in the poll have the option of providing anonymous answers or sharing their answers with others.
- After saving the poll, the results will be displayed.
The poll will be launched during the meeting and all questions will be answered. In order to ask questions during the webinar at various times, you can create additional polls to do so.
How to launch a poll
The meeting host must launch a poll before participants can respond, so polls aren’t available immediately. During a live session or before it begins, these polls can be created in the web portal, but in either case, the polls must be created in advance.
- Activate the polling feature in the scheduled Zoom meeting.
- Click the Polls button in the meeting controls.
- Select the poll you want to launch (if more than one poll has been created) at the top of the polling window.
- Click the Launch button.
In the next few minutes, the meeting participants will be prompted to respond to the polling questions. The results will be visible to the host.
- You can end the poll at any time.
- You can enter the following options by clicking the button:
- Re-launch Poll:
- This will relaunch the poll.
The poll report will only display the results of the last poll that was launched in a meeting when a poll is re-launched in a meeting. In the event that you have to run the same poll twice and you wish to have both sets of results, you might create a second poll with the same questions as the original. This way you can avoid repeating the poll launch process.
- Download results:
- By clicking on this link, your default web browser will launch and you will be able to download the complete poll report, which includes what each participant selected rather than the percentages of each choice.
- You can request this feature to be enabled by calling Zoom Technical Support if you do not have this option.
- View Results from Browser:
- Displays the polling results in the web page of your default web browser when the browser is launched.
- The polling results may then be shared with the participants in the meeting by clicking the Share Results button.