Only English is supported for recording highlights.
- Accounts for business, education, or enterprise
- Licensed user
- Cloud recording and audio transcript enabled
- Cloud recording and audio transcript processed and available to view
How to enable recording highlights
In the cloud recording feature, the recording highlights feature is an advanced option. Zoom must be configured to record cloud recordings and to capture audio transcripts before recording highlights can be enabled.
Highlights are not recorded by default.
The following steps must be taken in order to enable all users to record highlights:
- Log in as an admin with permission to edit account settings on the Zoom web portal.
- From the navigation panel, select Account Management and Account Settings.
- Choose Recording from the drop-down menu.
- If Cloud recording is not enabled, enable it.
You can enable it by clicking the toggle. Verify the change by clicking Enable when prompted.
- Select Audio transcript and Recording highlights under Advanced cloud recording settings.
- Press Save.
- You can make this setting mandatory for all users in your account by clicking the lock icon, then clicking Lock to confirm.
New Zoom accounts created after August 21, 2021 or accounts with the New Admin Experience enabled will have Group Management renamed to Groups.
A group of users can record highlights by following these steps:
- As an administrator, you’ll be able to edit groups in the Zoom web portal.
- Click User Management and then Group Management in the navigation panel.
- Select the appropriate group from the list.
- Select the Recording tab.
- Make sure the Cloud recording setting is enabled.
- Click the toggle to enable the setting if it is disabled. IA verification dialog will appear, click Enable to confirm the change.
- Grayed-out options have been locked at the account level and must be changed there.
- Choose the check boxes next to Audio transcript and Recording highlights under Advanced cloud recording settings.
- Press Save.
- Click the lock icon (optional) if you want to make this setting mandatory for all members of this group.
You can record your own highlights by following the following steps:
- Log in to Zoom’s web portal.
- Click Settings in the navigation panel.
- Select Recording from the menu.
- Make sure the Cloud recording option is enabled.
- Toggle the setting to enable it if it is disabled. Verify the change by selecting Enable from the verification dialog box.
- Grayed out options have been locked and must be changed at the account or group level. Zoom administrators can assist.
- Check the boxes next to Audio transcript and Recording highlights under Advanced cloud recording settings.
- Then click Save.
How to generate recording highlights
You need to have a cloud recording and audio transcript processed and available in order to generate recording highlights. Generally, cloud recordings take about two times as long to process as the meeting itself, but may take up to 24 hours. You will receive an email notification when the recording and transcript are complete. You can access the recording and transcript via these emails.
The recording highlights can be managed after the cloud recording and audio transcript has been processed.
How to manage recording highlights
The highlights are automatically highlighted by Zoom, but you can adjust them as needed.
- Log in to the Zoom web portal.
- Click on the Recordings option.
- Select the recorded meeting from the Cloud Recordings tab.
Files for the recording will be displayed.
- Click Watch Highlights or Play to view the recording.
With highlights already added, the transcript text appears to the right of the video when the recording opens.
A recorded meeting can be adjusted in various ways:
- When you hover over a speaker’s name, click the highlight icon that appears to highlight everything he or she said.
- Hover over the paragraph text and click the highlighted icon to highlight a specific paragraph.
- Click the highlighted icon again to remove a highlight.
- Select highlights directly in the playback bar by clicking Edit Highlights below the playback bar and dragging your cursor to add or remove highlights. Click Done when finished.Note:
- The transcript can also be modified by clicking the pencil icon next to a paragraph.
In order to share the recording with viewers, either save the recording highlights to a new video clip so that viewers can only see the recording highlights, or share the recording with the recording highlights. Watchers can view either the highlights or the entire recording if you share the original recording.
Save highlights to a new video clip
By exporting highlights to a new clip that you can view, edit, and share, you will be able to cut out unnecessary parts of the recording. Users are only able to view the highlights of the recording when they view the video clip.
Your account’s recording storage capacity is used for the new video clip.
- To save a new clip, click below the playback bar.
A confirmation dialog will appear.
- Click Save Now and give the clip a name.
An informational dialog about the new clip will appear, along with instructions on how to locate it.
- Confirm by clicking OK.
The new clip will be added to the original recording. The Highlights will be displayed on the video thumbnail in the bottom-left corner.
How to share recording highlights
Update sharing settings
- Click the Recordings link in the Zoom web portal’s navigation panel.
- Select the name of the recorded meeting from the Cloud Recordings tab.
- On the Share tab, click the share button.
- Update the cloud recording settings for sharing in the Share this cloud recording pop-up window.
- Press Done.
Share recording highlights only
- Click Recordings in the Zoom web portal’s navigation panel.
- Click the name of the recorded meeting under the Cloud Recordings tab.
- Click Copy shareable link to the right of the video you want to share.
- Whenever necessary, share the link.
- You must also provide the passcode to users if the recording is password protected. The passcode is not copied to your clipboard when you copy the shareable link.
Find out how to share cloud recordings.
How to view recording highlights
An individual has shared a link with you that allows you to view recording highlights. You can view the recording by following the steps onscreen.
It is possible to choose to watch the full recording or just the highlights if the host shared the full recording. Under the recording playback bar, click the toggle next to Only play highlights to watch the highlights.
You may receive an error if you are not properly authenticated if the host has enabled authentication for viewing cloud recordings. Find out more about cloud recording authentication.