Zoom desktop client users can manually or automatically save in-meeting chats to their computers or the Zoom Cloud. The chat will be saved to your computer if you save it locally, so you can see any chats that are sent to you directly or to everyone in the meeting or webinar. When you save a chat to the cloud, it will save only the messages sent during cloud recording and the messages sent to everyone.
Prerequisites for saving in-meeting chat
- Zoom desktop client
- Windows: 5.7.3 or higher
- macOS: 5.7.3 or higher
- Linux: 5.7.3 or higher
- Licensed user with cloud recording enabled (for saving chat to the Zoom Cloud)
How to save in-meeting chat manually
Having the Chat setting enabled with the Allow users to save chats from the meeting checked is required before you can save chats manually in the meeting. You can save your in-meeting chat to your computer when you save it during the meeting.
Manually save the chat in-meeting:
- Meetings may be joined or started.
- Click Chat to communicate during the meeting.
- To save the chat window, click the ellipses at the bottom of the window.
A recording of the conversation will be stored locally. The meeting name, date, and time are displayed in your Documents folder / Zoom / Folder by default.
When the Allow users to save meeting chats check box is deselected under the (enabled) Chat setting, all meeting participants, including the host, will not be able to save the chat transcript.
How to auto-save in-meeting chat
Using the automatic save feature, hosts don’t have to save the text of all in-meeting chats by hand after the meeting begins. Hosts must enable the setting for Automatically saving in-meeting chats before they can be automatically saved.
In order for a local chat transcript to be saved, the host must be present in the meeting for auto-saving chat.
How to save in-meeting chat to the Zoom cloud
When you cloud record a meeting, you can choose to save your in-meeting chat to the Zoom Cloud if you are a licensed user.
Set chats to save on the cloud
- Log in to Zoom.
- Click the Settings button.
- Then click Record.
- Toggle Cloud recording under Recording.
- Click Enable or Disable in the verification dialog to confirm the change.
- Greyed out options have been locked at the account or group level. Zoom administrators should be contacted.
- Check the box Save chat messages from the meeting / webinar under Cloud recording.
- You can save more webinar files by checking the Save panelist chat to recording box under Advanced cloud recording settings.
It will include the messages sent by panelists during the webinar to either the whole panel or to the entire panel and attendees.
- Save it.
The conversation will be recorded automatically if you start the cloud recording during the meeting.
Access your saved in-meeting chats on the cloud
The following methods will allow you to access your meeting recording:
- Your cloud recording will be made available to you via email. You can download or view it by clicking the link in the email.
- After the recording has been processed, you can access your saved in-meeting chats via the cloud:
- You will need to sign into Zoom.
- Select Recordings from the navigation menu.
- From the list of tabs, click Cloud Recordings.
- Find the meeting topic and click on it.
All of the files for that meeting will appear. A file called Chat file is a TXT file that can be downloaded, shared, and deleted.
How to access your saved in-meeting chat in the computer default save location
Your local recording location will save the in-meeting chat. As a default, you should set the meeting name, time, and date to your Documents folder / Zoom / Folder.
View the local recording path
- Connect to the Zoom desktop client by signing in.
- On the Zoom desktop client, click on your picture, then click Settings.
- You will see a Record button.
You will see the path where your recording will be saved when you click the Store my recording at field.
Change the default save location
- Log into Zoom on your desktop.
- Go to Settings, then click your profile picture.
- Click Record.
- Click Change and choose a new location for your local recording.
The use of a network or cloud drive location is not recommended, as disruptions in the connection may result in file corruption.