Fax support can be configured for an AudioCodes MP1288 gateway connected to a fax machine.
Note: Check out FaxSIPit as an alternative to Zoom Phone for faxing.
- Ownership or administrative privileges of the account
- Licensed to Zoom Phone
- Connected to a fax machine via an AudioCodes MP1288 gateway
Note: Setup and provisioning of the MP1288 are not covered in this document. See the AudioCodes MP1288 gateway quick start guide for initial setup. Throughout this guide, analog ports will be presumed to already be configured and all calls will work. Those Analog ports will then be assigned fax parameters.
Limitations of fax over Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
When faxing is implemented as a VoIP service, there are some known limitations. Most of these limitations are based on technology and are industry-wide in nature. The G.711 standard is used by Zoom and several other VoIP providers to send faxes over the Internet. Though this standard is recognized as reliable, it can be interpreted differently by various service providers and cannot be maintained end-to-end across a range of providers.
There is a service called Zoom that allows you to fax over VoIP by connecting a traditional fax machine via an analog terminal adapter (ATA) to the internet. We offer a wide range of fax services that are more than sufficient to serve the needs of many of our customers for occasional faxing which is cost-effective and offers a reasonably priced option. To find the best faxing solution for your business, you will need to assess your faxing needs first.
You can count on Zoom to provide quality services that suit your business needs. You should maintain an analog line and a traditional fax machine if your business relies heavily on faxing large, multi-page documents.
How to set up faxing
- You will need to sign into MP1288’s web interface.
- Select the SIGNALING & MEDIA tab.
- Click MEDIA then Fax/Modem/CID Settings in the left-side navigation panel.
- Select Events Only for the following fields:
- Transport Mode: Fax
- or modem (V.21) Type of transportation
- Type of V.22 transport modem
- Or modem (V.23) Type of transportation
- V.32 Modem Type of Transport
- For V.34 Type of Transport for V.33
- In accordance with the specifications below, make the following changes:
- Fax Relay Max Rate (bps):
- Up to 9600
- Fax/Modem Bypass Coder Type:
- Depending on the region, G711Ulaw and G711Alaw are available
- To select coder groups, click CODERS & PROFILES in the left-hand navigation panel.
- If the Coder Group Name at the top has the following coders listed, verify that the Coder Group Name has been set to AudioCodersGroup_0.
Coder Name Packetization Time Rate Payload Type Silence Suppression Opus 20 N/A 111 N/A G722 20 64 9 Disabled G.711U0-law 20 64 0 Disabled G.711A-law 20 64 8 Disabled
- Codes for the new Coder Group AudioCodersGroup_1 should be entered as follows.
- In this group, only G711U-law and G711A-law should be included. The codec G711 will have to be used for faxing.
Coder Name Packetization Time Rate Payload Type Silence Suppression G.711U-law 20 64 0 Disabled
- Add the following fields to your new Tel-Profile:
- You are asked to give the profile a name in order to identify it. For instance, a Fax Profile.
- Profile Preference: 1
- Fax Signaling Method:
- Do Not Fax
- Enable Digit Delivery:
- It is disabled
- Dial Plan Index:
- Call Priority:
- Set as disabled
- IP SETTINGS
- Coders Group:
- Go to step 8 and select AudioCodersGroup_1
- RTP IP DiffServ:
- Signaling DiffServ:
- Enable Early Media:
- Select “Disable”
- ECHO CANCELER
- Echo Canceler:
- Cancels echoes in lines
- EC NLP Mode:
- An adaptive NLP mode
- That can be applied.
- Click on GATEWAY > Trunks & Groups > Trunk Groups in the navigation panel.
- You can assign the Tel Profile that you created in step 9 to each port that will connect to a fax machine by entering the Tel Profile name in the column.