It is by default that Yealink and Poly devices that have been provisioned will automatically be updated to the latest firmware version. You can set rules to specify which firmware versions are permitted on your devices if you don’t want devices to be automatically upgraded. In this way, specific device models can remain up to two versions behind the most recent firmware version supported by the device.
This article covers:
- Limitations of firmware update rules
- How to access the firmware update rules setting
- How to add or edit a firmware update rule
- How to delete a firmware update rule
- Account type: Pro, Business, or Education
- Ownership/Administration of the account
- License for Zoom Phone
Limitations of firmware update rules
- If you add a firmware update rule, you will be able to keep the firmware version behind the latest supported version by a maximum of two versions. Whenever you have a configuration rule that is 3 or more versions behind what it was set to, you will be prompted to update this configuration rule in the web portal.
- Unfortunately, not all Poly and Yealink devices support firmware update rules. The device you are trying to add is not supported if it’s not visible when you add a rule.
How to view firmware provisioned for devices
It is possible to check the firmware version that both assigned and unassigned desk phones and common area phones are running by viewing the list of desk phones / ATAs (unassigned or assigned). Dashed lines are displayed if the device does not have firmware sharing or has not been provisioned.
Add a column containing the firmware version by clicking the gear icon and selecting Firmware Version when viewing the device list. Users can enable or disable this column.
How to access the firmware update rules setting
At the site level (if you have enabled multiple sites) or at the account level, you can access firmware update rules.
- Zoom’s web portal can be accessed by signing in.
- Click on Phone System Management then click on Company Information under the navigation menu.
- Choose the site you wish to modify from the list of sites.
- Select Manage next to Firmware Update Rules in the Desk Phone section of the page.
- Log in to Zoom.
- Choose Phone System Management and then Company Info from the navigation menu.
- Select Settings.
- Click Manage next to Firmware Update Rules in the Desk Phone section.
How to add or edit a firmware update rule
- At the site or account level, you can access the firmware update rules.
- Adding a new rule or editing an existing one is as easy as clicking Add Rule.
- You then select the model of the device, along with the firmware version. For the selected device model, you can select a firmware version up to two versions older than the most current supported version. Select “Current Version” if you want the latest supported firmware version to be used.
- Then click Save.
A firmware update time will be displayed.
- You can update the firmware using any of the methods listed below:
- Restart the devices immediately:
- Devices should be restarted when they are idle (not on a call). This prevents interruptions of calls.
- Sync the devices or pull them manually.
- Upon reading and accepting the terms of service, click on Confirm.
In order to downgrade the firmware in your Zoom Phone devices, all Zoom Phone devices within the site or account that match the selected model and type will automatically reboot.
How to delete a firmware update rule
- A site or account can set its own firmware update rules.
- Select the rule you want to delete and click Delete.
- Click the Confirm button once you have read and accepted the terms and conditions.
As soon as you select the type and model of Zoom Phone device, all units within the site and/or account that match those specifications will automatically reboot to upgrade to the latest version of firmware supported.