Users of the Zoom Desktop Client or Zoom Mobile App can send and receive text messages (SMS) using Zoom Phone SMS. Besides granular controls and security, you’ll gain a holistic view of usage and charges. You can create SMSs for each account user in this article.
See our frequently asked questions about SMS for more information about its limitations. SMS messages can also be set up for auto-receptionists or call queues.
- License for Zoom Phone
- Administration rights
Note: SMS is only available to phone users who meet certain prerequisites.
Before enabling SMS at the site or extension level, it must be enabled at the account level.
- Join Zoom by logging into the web portal.
- Select Company Info from the Phone System Management menu.
- You can enable SMS for an entire account by clicking Account Settings, or select a site from the list.
- Click Policy.
- Enable SMS.
Phone user or site
You can enable SMS at the account level and then at the user or site level by accessing the policy settings.
Phone user template
SMS templates for phone users can also be enabled and applied to multiple users at the same time.
Enabling international SMS
Users can send SMS messages to certain countries and regions by enabling international SMS.
- The international messaging rates table will be applied to messages sent to international phone numbers. Your phone usage report will show SMS charges.
- Your Zoom account must be enabled for this feature to work. Zoom needs to enable the feature within 3 business days after contacting them.
- Register for a Zoom account.
- Then click Company Info under the Phone System Management section.
- Based on whether you have multiple sites, select one of these options:
- Select the site you wish to edit from the list if you enabled multiple sites.
- If you disabled multiple sites:
- Log in to Account Settings.
- Select Policy.
- Enable SMS if necessary.
- Choose Allow International SMS from the options.
- Select a country/region and click Add.
- Then, click Save to allow users to send SMS messages to the selected countries/regions.
Setting the data retention policy
SMS data retention policies can be set at the site level.
- Login to the Zoom website.
- Select Phone System Management, followed by Company Info from the navigation menu.
- Next, click on the site you wish to edit from the list.
- Select Policies.
- Next, click the Edit button next to the section Auto Delete Data After Retention Duration.
- Choose a period of time for SMS data retention.
- Choose the options for what happens to SMS messages after the retention period is over in the After Retention Duration drop-down menu.
- These options affect SMS messages as well as other phone data.
Viewing SMS logs
SMS logs allow you to view the messages that phone users have sent and received.
- There may be a limit on the amount of logs visible based on SMS data retention policy.
- To view SMS charges, view the phone usage reports.
- Click on the SMS metrics widget for an overview of sending and receiving SMS.
- Log on to the Zoom website.
- Choose Phone System Management from the navigation menu.
- Choose SMS from the list.
- (Optional) Filter or search SMS log entries using the controls at the top.
- You can view the SMS conversation by clicking View in the right-side column.