You can receive customized notifications with your screen reader when specific actions are performed in Zoom, such as when you receive a message from IM or when the host mutes their audio. Your screen reader can announce alerts based on your preferences.
Prerequisites for using screen reader alerts on Zoom
- I have installed a screen reader on my computer
- In the case that you do not have a screen reader, you can make use of the one that comes with your operating system (for example, Windows 10 Narrator or macOS VoiceOver).
- Click here to download Zoom.
- You must have version 5.2.1 of Windows in order to install Zoom.
- On MacOS, you must have version 5.2.1 or higher.
How to enable or disable screen reader alerts
- Zoom’s desktop client can be accessed by signing in.
- Then, select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Select Accessibility from the list.
- To enable or disable an alert, select the checkbox next to it.
Available screen reader alerts
The following alerts will play when certain actions are performed. You can enable or disable them.
Windows and macOS devices support the following screen reader alerts. As a meeting host, you receive some alerts only when a participant joins or leaves the meeting or when a participant raises or lowers their hand.
- IM Chat Received:
- It will also include the name of the sender and the number of unread messages they have sent.
- Participant Has Joined/Left Meeting (Host Only):
- Participants who join or leave a meeting will have their profile names listed on the alert.
- Participant Has Joined/Left Waiting Room (Host Only):
- This alert will display the participant’s name.
- Audio Muted by Host:
- There will be no host name displayed in this alert.
- Video Stopped by Host:
- No host name will be displayed in the alert.
- Screen Sharing Started/Stopped by a Participant:
- Participants’ names will appear in the alert
- Recording Permission Granted/Revoked:
- You will receive an alert when your ability to record locally is granted or revoked by the host or co-host.
- Public In-Meeting Chat Received
- Private In-Meeting Chat Received
- In-meeting File Upload Completed
- Closed Captioning Is Available
- Closed Captioning Typing Privilege Granted/Revoked
- Host privilege Granted/Revoked:
- You will see the name of the new host if you are the host and have granted someone else host privileges.
- Co-host Privilege Granted/Revoked:
- Neither host will be named in the alert for granting or revoking co-host privileges.
- Remote Control Permission Granted/Revoked
- Participant Has Raised/Lowered Hand (Host only)
Only Windows users will be able to access the following screen reader alerts.
- Start/Stop of the livestream
- A Q&A has been answered
- And the role of the panelist has changed
- To attend as a result of this
How to use screen reader alerts with Zoom
You will need to turn on your screen reader in order to use Zoom. The screen reader will play the alert with the word “alert” at the beginning when one of the above actions is performed.