Because of increased security and permissions with Mac OS 10.14 Mojave and 10.15 Catalina, you must authorize Zoom Rooms and the Zoom desktop client to use your microphone and camera. Screen recording will also require authorization on Mac OS 10.15 Catalina. Additionally, Zoom desktop clients will prompt you to allow them to remotely control your computer. After clicking OK, you will be able to use your microphone and camera in Zoom.
The camera, microphone, and remote control access will be disabled if you don’t allow Zoom access during this initial prompt, in which case you will need to change your OS System Preferences in order to restore access.
Prerequisites for granting permissions on macOS
- OS 10.14 and later
- allow access to the OS Administrator
Note: You should keep your keyboard and mouse connected to your computer until you open Zoom and authorize access to the camera and microphone if your Zoom Rooms Mac is upgraded to Mojave or Catalina. The computer must be configured to run as an administrator.
How to grant or edit permissions
- Click the Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen.
- Select System Preferences.
Select Security & Privacy.
- Click the Privacy tab.
- In the Security & Privacy window, click the lock icon.
- Then enter the username and password of the OS administrator. then click Unlock.
- Select the permission you want to change: Camera, Microphone, Screen Recording, Files and Folders or Accessibility.
- The checkboxes next to zoom.us and Zoom Rooms should be checked.
Note: Under Zoom.us, you will need to check the box for at least the Documents Folder option to enable Local Recording on Catalina.
- Zoom or Zoom Rooms will prompt you to restart. If other permissions are needed, click Later. If you need to enable additional permissions, repeat steps 7 and 8.
- Click Quit Now when you’ve enabled all necessary permissions.
Permissions for the Zoom desktop client
Depending on the Zoom feature you are accessing, the Zoom Desktop Client may ask you to grant access to the following permissions:
- Video camera – For sharing your video during a webinar or meeting
Microphone – To join computer audio during a webinar or meeting
- Sharing your screen in a meeting or webinar with Screen Recording (Mac OS 10.15 Catalina only)
- Files and Folders (Mac OS 10.15 Catalina only) – Used for saving and sharing files in a meeting or webinar, as well as recording locally.
Accessibility – Used to permit remote control during a meeting.
Permissions for the Zoom web client
Depending on which Zoom features you are accessing, you will need to make sure your browser is authorized to access the following permissions when joining using the Zoom Web client:
- Camera – To share your video during a meeting or webinar
Microphone – To join computer audio during a meeting or webinar
Screen Recording (Mac OS 10.15 Catalina only) – Share your screen during meetings or webinars
Permissions for Zoom Rooms
If you are accessing certain features of Zoom Rooms, the application may ask for permission to access the following:
- Camera – Share your video during a meeting or webinar
Microphone – Join computer audio during a meeting or webinar