You can set up a webinar practice session in order to familiarize yourself with the webinar controls before you begin the webinar. The host, alternate host, and panelists all have access to the practice session.
For the host, the backup host, and panelists to get access to the practice session, they simply need to join the webinar before it begins broadcasting live to attendees. The webinar will restart in the practice session once it begins broadcasting live to attendees. When everyone is ready to broadcast, the host or co-host can begin the broadcast.
- Days before the webinar, you can use the practice session. Even if it’s hours or days ahead of the scheduled date, you can still start the practice session, broadcast, and end the webinar without affecting its start time and date.
- In order to join the webinar practice session, panelists must use the unique link sent to them by the host, or they must be logged into their Zoom account with the email address associated with the panelist assignment. They will be unable to join the practice session if not signed in or signed in with a different Zoom account.
This article covers:
Prerequisites for webinar practice session
- Accounts with Zoom Webinar add-on for Pro, Business, Education, and Enterprise
- Zoom desktop client
- Windows: version 5.2.1 or higher
- macOS: version 5.2.1 or higher
- Linux: version 5.2.1 or higher
- Zoom mobile app
- Android: version 5.2.1 or higher
- iOS: version 5.2.1 or higher
How to enable webinar practice session
- Log in to the Zoom web portal.
- Click the Webinars tab.
- Click on the title of an already scheduled webinar, or schedule a new one.
- Select Edit this Webinar.
- Check the Enable Practice Session box in the Webinar Options section.
How to start a webinar practice session
A practice session can only be joined by the host, alternative host, or a panelist. There can only be one active practice session per webinar. It is important to note that even if the host starts a practice session and a different host starts one, they will both be part of the same practice session.
The desktop client is available as a free download
- Access the Zoom desktop client by signing in with your Zoom account.
- On the Home or Meetings tab, click on the Start Webinar button.
During practice mode, the host, the alternative host, and panelists will be able to see a banner at the top of the Zoom window that indicates that they are in practice mode.
- Zoom’s web portal can be accessed by signing in.
- Click Webinars in the navigation menu.
- Then, click Practice Session for a webinar.
- Then, click Start Practice Session.
How to start a webinar from within a practice session?
- Practice webinars.
- Click the Start Webinar link in the top banner.
- Participants can join the webinar by clicking Start.
At the top of the Zoom window, the host and other panelists will see a banner that indicates the webinar is now live.
Your original start time will not be affected by this. In order to avoid the practice session running into the scheduled start time, it is recommended that you coordinate with panelists ahead of time if you wish to attend the practice session.