Owners of old or weak PCs and mobile devices may be wondering what the system requirements for Zoom are for participating in single and group video conferencing. After all, there is always a risk that at startup the program will start to “glitch” or simply will not open. We studied the official information and put together a detailed article.
You can run Zoom even on the weakest computers, because operation is guaranteed on single-core processors with a frequency of 1 GHz or more . But this is the very minimum, the recommended information states:
- Dual-core processor with a frequency of at least 2 GHz .
- The amount of random access memory (RAM) – 4 GB or more.
A webcam and microphone are not required for video conferencing. After all, it provides for chat and other interaction elements, for example, an interactive whiteboard.
The zoom is compatible with the following operating systems:
- Windows – XP SP3, Vista SP1 and newer.
- Mac OS – 10.7 or later.
It also supports multiple distributions of the Linux :
- Ubuntu – from version 12.04.
- Mint – from 17.1
- Red Hat Enterprise – from 6.4.
- Oracle Linux – from 6.4.
- CentOS – from 6.4.
- Fedora – from 21.
- OpenSUSE – from 13.2.
- ArchLinux – 64-bit systems only.
In the case of Linux, support for the OpenGL version 2.0 standard is required on an integrated or discrete graphics processor (video card).
The situation with mobile devices is even simpler: the Zoom application can be installed on any smartphones and tablets with Android and iOS, if there is at least 100-150 MB of free memory. Sources of load – « the Play Market” and the App Store respectively. But too old firmware may not be supported, in which case an update will be required.
Information on installing and using the phone app is described here .
This point stands out as the basic system requirements are quite low. Not everyone has access to unlimited, cheap and fast internet. So it is worthwhile to understand how much traffic will be spent during communication. We’ll tackle two-person Zoom calls, group conferences, webinars, and other scenarios.
The following information on the minimum bandwidth is published on the official website:
- VoiP calls – from 60-80 Kb / s.
- Screen sharing (excluding everything) – 50-75 Kb / s.
- Screen sharing (with mini-video enabled ) – 50-150 Kb / s.
- Video call with one user – 600 Kb / s. When the camera’s HD mode is on (720p resolution) – from 1.2 Mb / s.
- Sending video with resolution FHD (1920 × 1080) – 2.8 Mb / s. Receiving – 1.3 Mb / s.
Group conference information:
- Video output from the camera – 600 Kb / s. Ideally 1.2 MB / s. In HD quality – 1.5 Mb / s.
- Gallery mode – 1.5 Mb / s.
- Video upload with FHD (1920 × 1080) resolution – 3.0 Mb / s. Receiving – 2.5 Mb / s.
- Video call with two participants – 600 Kb / s, when HD mode is turned on – 1.2 Mb / s.
- Screen sharing – from 50 Kb / s.
From the above data, we can conclude that an Internet connection with a speed of 1.5 Mb / s will be enough for comfortable communication in Zuma . Well, if you need to send a high-quality video – 3 Mb / s .
On average, for 60 minutes of videoconferencing with HD video, an average of 1.35 GB of traffic will be spent (both receiving and sending traffic are taken into account).
People also ask
How much RAM does zoom use?
What equipment do I need for zoom?
Does zoom work on Windows XP?
How do I download Zoom on Windows XP?
How do I zoom in on Windows XP?
How do I see all participants in zoom?
Can I use zoom on my PC?
What is the best device to use for zoom?
How much data does zoom use for 1 hour?
Which laptop is best for zoom meetings?
Why is zoom so slow?
Does zoom work on smart TV?
Does zoom require a camera?
Is Zoom free to use?
How do I download zoom on my laptop?
Does Windows Vista support zoom?
Does zoom work with Windows 8?
How do I join a zoom meeting for the first time?
How do you make a breakout room in zoom?
Do you need to download Zoom to join a meeting?
Is laptop or phone zoom better?
Can I put zoom on my TV?
Can I do zoom on my TV?
How do you zoom on a smart TV?
Is 4gb RAM enough for zoom?
What is the minimum bandwidth for zoom?
How much bandwidth does a zoom Meeting use?
Does Zoom show your face?
How can I look better on Zoom?
Does zoom work with Windows 10?
How do I look skinny in zoom?
What is the best color to wear for a zoom meeting?
How can I look sexier?
How do you prepare for a zoom meeting?
What is the best color to wear to an interview?
Should you dress up for a zoom meeting?